Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted a very sweet cat who is around one year old. She has a ton of energy, especially at night. I work during the day, but play with her in the evening to try to wear her out a bit before I go to bed. However, every morning at 4-5 am she wakes me up! At first she would just nuzzle my face or stick a paw on my head, and even though it interupted my sleep time, I thought it was rather cute. But now she has taken to pouncing on my feet and legs through the covers and wrapping her paws around them, nipping, etc., which kind of hurts! I've tried yelling NO loudly or giving her a squirt with a water bottle, but she almost always comes back a minute later. I hate to banish her from the bedroom completely, because then she scratches at my door and meows. Any suggestions???? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you have to resort to banishment from the bedroom, then try the vacume cleaner technique. Place it just outside your door, turned on but unplugged. When your cat starts scraching plug it in for a second or two. He will get the message. I have lived with the vacume outside my door for the last 4 years! Best of Luck

·
Registered
821 Posts
HAHAHHAHA....I know the vacuum technique works but it is just such a HILARIOUS thing to picture! Your cat probably views it as the beast that guards your bedroom, and if kitty is too loud he will wake the beast and the beast will yell! Hahahahhahahahaha.........gotta love cats.

·
Registered
130 Posts
well you could try the vauum cleaner thing or you could sleep with a water pistol or squirt gun nearby... it is always funny to see the cat jump up and start running when the spray gets them!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Gosh, I have never heard of the vacuum cleaner technique, I bet it would work great! Velvet hates the vacuum cleaner, she goes racing though the house whenever I turn it on. Can't say I blame her, I hate to vacuum! :p

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
My sugar does that same exact thing but it kind of died down now, but shes about a year old or so but she is spoiled. If I kick her out of the bedroom which she has been sleeping with me for a year now, she will paw the door, meow, wake me up, etc. Sometimes when she is in a playful mood she would attack my bf toes under the covers when it moves or walk above our heads on the pillow back and forth and eventually she kind of stopped doing that which is good. What we do is to try to exhaust her right before we go to bed and then kick her out of the room if she is being a bad kitty along with Twinkie so they have each other and she eventually gives up later. She used to get really bad when we used to kick her out of the room several months ago, but what we did was periodically just make her sleep in the living room once in awhile and she is not so bad about being kicked out so much now. Hopefully it works out for you and your kat ! :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice! Actually bella is getting better about it, and the nights when she still does it are usually days when I have gotten home late and didn't play with her as much as usual, she's probobly just bored! She has a new fixation with the metal dreamcatcher I have hanging from my bedframe, so she has been attacking that more often than my feet now, it still gets her banished from the bedroom for the rest of the night though..... :)

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
I like my cats to sleep with me, but my special black cat, Pixie, ( now in kitty heaven) would take forever to decide whether she wanted to come to bed or not. So I would wait, start to close the door, and she would run to stand at the doorway and take another few minutes before deciding to go sleep elsewhere. The routine got a bit old, and finallly, I would give her only one chance before I closed the door.

One night I was going to be home alone, and left the hall light on, reasoning that if I heard a noise, I'd glance at the bottom of the door. If I saw no shadow to indicate that someone was there, I was safe. I just prayed and went back to sleep. However, one night, when I was almost asleep, I heard noises outside my bedroom door!

I glanced quickly at the base of the door, and this time there was clearly a shadow emphasized by the hall light! :shock: I hurried to the door and made sure it was locked, my heart beating so fast and hard I could feel it against my pj's. I leaned against the door, and felt slight pressure pushing against my shaking glutius maximus! Finally I let go, grabbed an oak shelf which I had got out to make the mattress firmer, propped it under the door knob, and hurried back to bed to call 911. The phone was in my hand when I noticed the intruder had reached under the door again!--this time with two hands, or, as it turned out, two paws. Thankfully, I had not yet dialed 911, and Pixie's record was never sullied by a breaking and entering charge. :oops:

I learned patience through this, and allowed Pixie the time she needed to make her decision from that night on. :wink:

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
My cats are always going to bed the same time as me, its weird, I start to pull the covers back and they run in and Twinkie goes to his little corner by the hallway and Sugar sleeps right next to me on the container drawer thingee but she loves her donut bed. They always wake up around 9 or 10am when I wake up and go to sleep when I do, Im so happy they dont wake me up all the time in the middle of the night, otherwise I'd be cranky at work! :x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts