Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents got a kitten in late August (a house cat from a nearby farm, born in May). He was really cuddly and affectionate and had the same social routine every morning - first saying hello by climbing up to your face, rubbing his nose against your chin and maybe patting you on the cheek with his paw, then lie on your lap or belly for a while, or beside you on the bed. My parents kept him in the laundry room during the night (to be able to sleep), maybe that's why he was so happy to see us in the morning. He got us a bit worried because he didn't eat much, but but he seemed really happy and healthy overall.

My parents eventually came to the conclusion that they didn't want a pet after all and asked me if I could take him. I had become really fond of the little guy while staying at my parents' place for 1,5 months, so when I moved out I took him with me. Now it's been two weeks and I think he's become less cuddly and affectionate, he keeps attacking my feet at night and whenever he becomes just a little bit uncomfortable e.g. on my lap, or if I'm holding him and try to gently put him down, he grabs my arm and bites it. He still likes to greet my when I've been away by rubbing his nose against my face, but rarely wants to lie on my belly when I'm on the couch anymore. It still happens once in a while, but not like before.

Also, his fur has become a little matte and dry. When he's been climbing his cat tree sparks fly when I pet him. He's pretty active though, running around like crazy, chasing his toys.

He still doesn't eat a lot and is very picky. He eats a little bit of dry food, just licks the sauce from wet food and hates the expensive patés. He likes cooked ham though.

But I'm a bit worried...should I take him to the vet?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
He's a young teen. Expect some bad behaviour. ;)

A moving foot under the covers is an invitation to attack, at least in my experience.

Has he been neutered? That might help with things. He needs plenty of exercise, running around. OIther people here can suggest toys they've found good. I like to tie folded up crinkly paper to a string and drag it around. In years past I used a crushed cigarette pack, but those days are over (thank heaven!). Pingpong balls are fun to chase. Beware of long strings left around: some cats will try to eat them and then there can be real trouble.

As for the sparks, it sounds like the air in your place is very dry. It's winter. That happens. There are various humidifiers one can buy that would help with that in winter. Might even be helpful for you, your skin, hair, nose. Mine helps me. :)

As for food... I don't leave food down for my cat. He is fed twice a day, not too much. Hunger is the best sauce. (Mine likes ham also, that's the only people-food he's shown interest in!)

It's always a good idea to have a vet checkup and establish a relationship. Better to do this before an emergency.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you can't get a humidifier, dampen your hands slightly before you pet or pick up your kitty. That will keep you from shocking him, and vice versa.

These gear ties have been a big hit with the young cats I've had at my house recently: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-32-in-Gear-Tie-in-Bright-Orange-2-Pack-GT32-2PK-31/203211065. You can attach them to furniture and fasten a dangly toy to the other end, or bend them into shapes and let them roll around. Interactively springy, they move in weird unexpected ways. Just be careful you don't trip over one in the dark.

cat-toys.jpg

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Whooot! I never saw those before! Thanks a bunch, I will certainly put a pack of those on my list. :) Belated Xmas for Blackie....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input! I actually got a humidifier, but the cat managed to remove the lid when I was out for a few hours (left the machine running), which resulted in my parquet floor being ruined (nothing that can't be fixed though...I think). Ugh...

Last night was pretty tough, he kept me awake with his attacks... It's become a lot colder now and I can't keep him on the balcony all night (it's like a room with windows but it's not heated...thinking about getting an infrared heater).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts