Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I'm looking for advices, my 8 month old cat started out of nowhere peeing - and sometimes pooping - on the floor and on the carpets, instead of his litter box.
He does this every other day.
He first starts meowing around, then he starts "digging" on the floor or one of the carpets ( It's not even always the same carpet, sometimes the kitchen, sometimes the bathroom one ) then does his business there, or he goes in his box, doesn't cover anything, comes out and 'digs' around it.
I tried 2 days ago to change his litter with another kind, it got worse, he didn't like it at all, even struggled going inside, and today he peed again in the kitchen.

He's not neutered yet, so at first I thought he was marking so I called the vet, and we booked an appointment to get it done, which is supposed to be in 1 week
But now i'm starting to realize that's probably NOT what he's doing ..
He plays all the time, he's active, eats a lot ( both wet and dry - good brands ), sleeps, doesn't show any kind of health problem.
I'm calling the vet again tomorrow to explain what's happening but I wanted to get some opinions over here too.

I thought it might have been stress but there wasn't any change of sorts in the house.
Maybe cystitis, but he's not showing symptoms ( my late cat had that and she had all kind of symptoms ) apart from the peeing around..(?)

I'm totally lost...

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
71 Posts
Ask your vet to check for a UTI, just in case. I would say kidney problems, but he seems too young for that. Would love an update and best of luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ask your vet to check for a UTI, just in case. I would say kidney problems, but he seems too young for that. Would love an update and best of luck!
Yeah cystitis, UTI that's I meant, i mean he seems fine and there's no blood or anything but I guess i'll have to check with the vet if it's the case.. he's so young. All my cats always had this kinda problem, but when older not this early. I'll keep you updated thanks

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
71 Posts
Would appreciate it. Hopefully, if it is some form of UTI, its only early stages and can be treated easily. Or even better, something non-health related.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also went through it. My cat was peeing on the carpet more than one year and one day suddenly stopped. Good luck with your little boy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Your very first step when something like this is happening is to take the cat immediately to the vet and run tests to make sure there is not a medical cause, because if you wait it may only get much worse.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great idea to check with the Vet to rule out any medical problems. I asked about the box because we too had litter issues and had to do a fair amount of research to figure it out. Never knew there were so many do's and don't's with litter boxes! Here's what I got:
Boxes need to be big enough for cats to maneuver, and some cats don't like hoods.
Cats like choices where to do their business. Put two boxes in easily accessible areas where they can see their surroundings, and are cleaned often. Keep away from their food and water.
Litter is definitely a personal choice, but avoid scented and high dust. 2 inches of litter in the box is recommended. When you switch litters, do it gradually. Slowly replace old litter after scooping with a little new litter until it's completely changed over.
After trying all of that, this is what we ended up with:
Kate likes to circle the inside and find just the right spot. Sophie backs into a corner and sometimes over-shoots. We now have 2 large, high-sided litter boxes with no covers. The girls like Dr Elsey's Precious Cat Classic unscented clumping. I scoop twice a day, and every month, dump out the old litter, disinfect the box and pooper-scooper, and fill with fresh litter. So far so good!

And please do let us know how things are going. We'll all be worried til then!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your very first step when something like this is happening is to take the cat immediately to the vet and run tests to make sure there is not a medical cause, because if you wait it may only get much worse.
Yes I KNOW of course that's the first thing and that's also what I said, and the vet said it's time to get neutered, I called him again today and he asked me a bunch of Qs and then again told me to get him neutered first ( next monday ) and then we'll see if he keeps doing it cause he thinks it's a behavioral problem

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Checked in again with the vet today ( see my prev answer )
As for the litter box I'm trying to figure out if that's the problem or not, but it's weird since he never had any problem in the past months with it nor the litter..
The size shouldn't be the problem cause we got a big one since we knew he was going to get big ( he's a Siberian ).
I'm trying to see if there's something he doesn't like in the bathroom where the box is..cause overall we clean it many times and there's nothing scented in it.

Anyway I'm writing down what's happening "around us" when he does that ( thanks Jackson galaxy for the tip ahah ) and the only thing I noticed it's the fact that he does it when my mom gets home from work, or I get home.. the other times he did it I was home and maybe stressed about work that day (?) he never does it when we aren't home..
I feel like he might feel the stress? my stress?

I'm putting my detective hat on

·
Registered
76 Posts
"I'm putting my detective hat on"

lol! I know what you mean. I've never googled so much in my life as I have since the cats moved in! This forum has helped a lot, with many good tips from Jackson Galaxy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes I KNOW of course that's the first thing and that's also what I said, and the vet said it's time to get neutered, I called him again today and he asked me a bunch of Qs and then again told me to get him neutered first ( next monday ) and then we'll see if he keeps doing it cause he thinks it's a behavioral problem
Sorry.........didn't mean that the wrong way. But, has your vet run a test for a UTI? That is what I should have asked, and I am afraid I am still not clear on whether or not that has been done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's fine and no he said to get him neutered first since it's next monday the appointment, and then we'll see if that changes something

·
Registered
137 Posts
hmmmm. I would be very reluctant to have an animal neutered if there were any chance that there was a urinary infection present.
Of course, the vet can run that test quickly before starting the surgery just to be sure. You don't want surgery if there's an infection present.

I hope your problem is solved, and would be interested to hear how it goes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
An update: I tried to remove the carpets he kept going to and of course he didn't pee anywhere else and went to his litter box.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I have to agree with the vet......get him neutered! At 8 mos. of age his hormones are coursing thro his body, and he's got the urge to "mark" his territory. This is natural behavior of unneutered male cats. Another suggestion is to get a "cat attractant" to put on your litter, or replace it with Dr. Elsie's Cat Attract Litter (Amazon is one store that has it) to get him going in the litter box. If you've only got one litter box, get another and put it in another place in your home in a low-traffic area. All the best and hope you can give us an update later to tell us if he's improved or not.

Reactions: Woosie

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have to agree with the vet......get him neutered! At 8 mos. of age his hormones are coursing thro his body, and he's got the urge to "mark" his territory. This is natural behavior of unneutered male cats. Another suggestion is to get a "cat attractant" to put on your litter, or replace it with Dr. Elsie's Cat Attract Litter (Amazon is one store that has it) to get him going in the litter box. If you've only got one litter box, get another and put it in another place in your home in a low-traffic area. All the best and hope you can give us an update later to tell us if he's improved or not.
The OP just did give an update.......see above.......and it appears the problem has been solved, at least for now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My kitten now is about 8 months old, she did pee on the floor one, but I sprayed aclohol a few times, and she never peed again, only in the litter bin, I have two litter bin, one is the unicharm with zeolite pellets and another with pine wood pellets, both works, my kitten uses the unicharm litter bin the most, its the main litter bin.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts