Cat Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The OP just did give an update.......see above.......and it appears the problem has been solved, at least for now.
Got him neutered yesterday! He's doing okay already but he peed again on the floor / carpets last night and this morning ( my mom doesn't want to remove the carpets )
I'm gonna wait and see what happens but this is causing so much stress in this house... :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My kitten now is about 8 months old, she did pee on the floor one, but I sprayed aclohol a few times, and she never peed again, only in the litter bin, I have two litter bin, one is the unicharm with zeolite pellets and another with pine wood pellets, both works, my kitten uses the unicharm litter bin the most, its the main litter bin.
He's always used the crystals and never had any issue with it, this all started one month ago. I have only one litter, i have no idea where i could put a second one, there's not much free space here... I didn't try the pellets yet just the agglomerated one and he didn't like that one at all

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have to agree with the vet......get him neutered! At 8 mos. of age his hormones are coursing thro his body, and he's got the urge to "mark" his territory. This is natural behavior of unneutered male cats. Another suggestion is to get a "cat attractant" to put on your litter, or replace it with Dr. Elsie's Cat Attract Litter (Amazon is one store that has it) to get him going in the litter box. If you've only got one litter box, get another and put it in another place in your home in a low-traffic area. All the best and hope you can give us an update later to tell us if he's improved or not.
As my prev post I got him neutered yesterday and I got just one box in the house, which is in the bathroom and it's not a "traffic area"...
Sadly I'm Italy so those brands you're all listing don't exist here. Could barely find a litter attractant :rolleyes: gotta try that

·
Registered
4 Posts
Remember that if it is happening because of hormones, they take weeks to leave the body.. he's still at their mercy. I know that sounds like a long time, but if it's the case then there's an end to it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Here we go again - he goes 2-3 days without doing it and he's back at it again in the TWO SAME SPOTS
I'm gonna cry.
Can you put a litterbox in that spot? I know it's probably not convenient, but might be worth a try.
Also, there may be...facebook?... groups online that deal with feline litter box issues. If you ask there, someone will have more suggestions for you.
Sorry to hear this is happening.

I have actually gone through this with a cat, so I know what it's like, and it is very frustrating.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Oops! Sorry I didn't realize you are in Italy and don't have the same brands of litter as the US. I have an online friend in Ireland and after using certain native expressions, we often say... "What the heck are you talking about?!" The word "bangs" made for a very lively conversation. :)

Back to the problem. Once a cat urinates in a particular spot and can still smell it, they will go there again and again, so try to clean the carpet as soon as possible after he pees. You can google "how to clean cat urine from carpets" and they'll be lots of methods to try.

I don't think this is a behavior issue or territory-marking. Your cat is telling you that he doesn't like something about using his litterbox. If you've ruled out a UTI, constipation, or other medical problems, then it may something else... either the litterbox placement or the litter itself. When cats are in the wild, they choose to urinate in soft dirt or sand. Litter types like crystals may not feel natural to them even if they've used it before, and some can irritate their sensitive paws, so they may look for a softer place like a carpet. You could set up a second litterbox with a basic unscented clay litter either next to the other one or ideally in another room if you can, and see which one he chooses. Also, some cats are extremely annoyed if the box is not thoroughly cleaned (another reason for having 2 boxes) and may not use if it's soiled. Picky little things, cats are!

This may all resolve itself it time when his hormones settle down, but why deal with a smelly rug, extra work, and lots of stress when there may be a simple fix?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Okay y'all I'm here with an update. Things are going MUCH BETTER, apparently.

This is what I did for that to happen.
1. I started spraying the carpets with Feliway (pheromones) each day.
2. Since I use the clicker with him sometimes, I started giving him a treat when he goes to the litter box so he knows he's been a good boy 😂
3. I changed the litter again, using the clay one and he seems to like it.

This is it, I started all of that from last weekend and he has't peed on the carpets since Sunday.
It's FRIDAY. So it seems to be working. I even left him alone 2 days this past week to go back to work and he did everything inside.

I hope it lasts.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Oh gosh I am so sorry.
Wish I could help because I have been through this and I know what it is like.

I got my cat back to using the litterbox, but my situation was different from yours and I doubt my method would work for you.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts