Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 year old male cat that has been losing weight the past few months. I took him into the vet’s office last week and she did some blood work and an xray of his torso - both of which came back fine. Still bothered by the weight loss, she ordered an abdominal ultrasound which was done this past Monday. Unfortunately, the ultrasound revealed masses/lumps in the mesentary lining very near to his intestines. She told me I could either have some fluid aspirated from his tummy to get an accurate diagnosis or do exploratory surgery for a biopsy. She also said that either way would only give me a “name” of what he has (she strongly suspects cancer) and that it would put him through a lot when there is really no cure. She said that she believes he is not suffering at the moment but that what he has is fatal.

This has been EXTREMELY hard for me since I found out all this on Monday. He is, without a doubt, my baby and even though he was spoiled with loving before this, he is getting the king treatment more so lately. I have somewhat come to grips with not having him go through exploratory surgery for a biopsy just to get a "name" for a diagnosis. I would like him to live his remaining days as happy and comfortable as possible. I have somewhat considered chemo but probably more for selfish reasons. I talked with the vet about the option of chemo and she said it "could" work but would only prolong, not cure. I understand that completely. She said he would be poked and prodded several times a week and I should consider whether or not I want to put him through that. Part of me does, part of me doesn't. I almost feel like if I don't, then I'm not giving him all I can give to extend his life. But also if I don't, he can be happy at home without being carted back and forth and live a few months shorter (?) being a happy cat at home. I know if I chose the chemo route, it would only be for my benefit since I am not ready to let go. The emotional part of me wants to hang on as long as I can but it would only be for me - it wouldn't do him any good in the long run. I will have to let go at some point, I know. In my cat’s mind, he has no idea what is happening to him and I want to keep it that way. In his mind he has lived a happy and very much loved life whether it was 8 years, 10 years or 20 years. He'll handle this all just fine - it's me that will be a mess. Just to look at his face breaks my heart but it's also my heart that needs to realize that he won't know anything is wrong with him if I can be strong enough to know when to say when.

Sorry this is long. I would appreciate any advice/insight/comments from anyone who has had to deal with this situation. Thank you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
28,615 Posts
I would want to know what is wrong. I would ask for a needle biopsy. That's not so extreme. I never had a cat with cancer, but I had a dog with a "weeping" lump on his neck. We had it removed, worrying for fear he would not even survive the surgery, because big dogs don't live as long as small dogs and cats. He was about 11. The surgery was successful, and he had three more good years. The cancer never came back.

If your cat starts to suffer, of course you have to make that dreaded decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
:cry: I know what your going through, went through the same thing myself a few years ago with a dog. We went the chemo route.....all was well for a year (couldn't tell he had cancer at all) then it was time for the chemo to stop. He was well for a few months........then went downhill fast. We knew someday it would be like that.......was hard watching a over 100 pound dog lose so much weight in a matter of weeks. We had to make the decision to put him down. I still think we made the right choice with the chemo...gave him extra "quality" time but he didn't have to go to the vets weekly either. We would go and get the pills....he went every month and it was a big deal to him........he loved going. He had leukemia, no tumors or fluid buildup. I'm really sorry for the decision you have to make, it's hard.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top