Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this yesterday, but it disappeared.

About six years ago my folks adopted a large tabby from Pets Mart.
He attacks my mom while she sleeps by seeking out flesh to bite and scratch.

My mom keeps herself well covered, but he still finds flesh. He does this when he wants food and attention.

While she is sitting, he will leap up to bite and scratch her legs when he wants her to get up.
He also will leap at her ankles while she is walking if he wants her to go in another direction.

My 88 year old dad is now in the hospital, but the cat never attacked him.
I think he knows my dad is fragile, and he is not the one who feeds him.
My dad is coming back tomorrow.

This tabby is highly intelligent and loves people. He will rub up to people and kiss them.
He likes being pet for a short time, but will bite and scratch if overly stimulated. He will sometimes lash out quickly to bite, as a snake would

Is there any solution to alter his behavior?. My mom is very scarred on her legs and arms.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
You've been posting about this issue for 5 years. For 5 years, you have chosen this cat over your mother. If you won't take any advice that was given then, why keep asking? You're still going to keep this cat and your mother is going to be tormented. Your parents wanted to give the cat back in 2015.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually both my parents wanted to keep the cat. I only now noticed an old thread that I had forgotten I started in 2018.
I wanted to find an alternative than to bringing him to a shelter, which I am afraid will be a death sentence.

I do not think it hurts to see if anyone had any advice on any way to modify his behavior before making a decision.

I still hope maybe someone does.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My father also has dementia and lives for this cat, making the decision more challenging.

if anyone knows where to send him without giving him a death sentence, I would like to consider it.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Well, you posted this in August 2015, 5 years ago:

My parents told me this evening that they want to give him up.

Tonight my Mom told me that he follows her around the house and bites and scratches her ankles. She can only wear pants to avoid getting scratch and bite marks.

Furthermore, she told me that he bit my dad's visiting nurse on the arm for no apparent reason. They had never met.

He also jumped on their bed and scratched and bit my dad's arm for no apparent reason.

My dad's arm was quite bloody.
I hope your Mom can finally find some peace in her own home, especially at her age. If I seem harsh, it's because I can't imagine any scenario where I would have let a cat attack my Mom. Constantly. For more than 5 years. 60 months. Over one thousand, eight hundred twenty-five days of this. As children, we have to make hard decisions as our parents get older. One of the most heartbreaking is taking their car keys away, taking away their freedom. Rehoming an aggressive, attacking cat causing physical harm? Not even close.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The cat probably needs more activities. Treat balls set out before bed, puzzle toys, where him out with lure toys a couple hours before bed. Give him something to do, he sounds bored.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Take him to the vet and get a full workup to rule out any medical issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your advice. We do get him to the vet every year, but have not asked them for suggestions about this.

I had no idea I wrote about this in 2015. I did find one response in 2018, but wanted other perspectives.

My mom is the cat owner, so I leave the ultimate decision to her. His middle of the night aggression increased with my dad gone, but he returned last night with 24 hour care.
-She has not been attacked every night for five years.
He does have toys and a scratching post, but I think his actions are a need for food and attention.

The cat does have some positive qualities, and we realize that a trip to the shelter is a death sentence, hence she has been tolerant, and I have supported her in this tolerance.
I am not immoral, I am just looking for solutions before deciding her cat's fate.

The moderator says this had been addressed, but I found only one response to my prior inquiry.

l

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
There were 13 responses to your 2015 thread.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If he's wanting food and attention in the middle of the night, he isn't getting enough stimulus during the day. My cats have thousands of toys but don't wear themselves out on their own. The first few games will be hard to get him tired, but his behavior should improve. Maybe try zylkene mixed into some wet food before bed. I use the large dog capsules for my ferals and it really helps relieve some stress. And put Treat balls around once you teach him that yummy stuff comes out.
But Definately get a full workup since it could be a medical issue like a thyroid problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts