Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 9 cats ranging in years from 2-7. We have a mix of Males and Females. 2-3 boys are urinating and 1 female all over our house. We have tried everything from changing litter to adding more boxes. We use Feliway and put down tin foil. The problem jsut seems to be getting worse and worse. We have even had some of them checked for UTI. I heard of a drug to stop it, but am not sure about it. Can anyone help?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
First, are all the cats fixed? If not, you will need to get them spayed/neutered.

How many litter boxes do you have currently? You've said that you've added more, but the rule is to have one box for every cat + 1. That's 10 litterboxes 8O . You could also try using the huge rubbermaid containers as litterboxes, and then you should be able to have less than 10 litterboxes.

How often do you clean the boxes? When you have cats peeing outside of the box, you should scoop 1-2 times a day and completely sanitize them every 2 weeks.

Remove the hoods from hooded boxes. Cats using the box may feel insecure because they may be ambushed by other cats. Removing the hoods, therefore, may help.

The most important thing to do, however, is to remove any traces of urine from your home. Take a black light and check *eveywhere*. Urine will glow under the black light. Then you need to take a good enzyme cleaner and soak the carpet down to the padding (Nature's Miracle is a good one). Then you need to let the spot dry. This will take a long time so you should direct a fan on the spot to speed the process. Cats will continue to urinate where they have previously done so unless you completely remove the odour.

I wish you luck with this problem and I hope others can give you some insight!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've also heard that there needs to be a litter box on each level of the house. We have three cats, two boxes on the main floor and one in the basement. We haven't had any problems.

I know someone who added a two story structure onto the original one floor home and one cat started peeing on the upper level. With 9 cats, there may be some competetion for the boxes. Do they all get along?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Besides the number of litterboxes, another thing to consider is the number of cats you have vs. the amount of space you have. Someone else on another board had similar problems just because there were too many cats for her house (all indoor). The cats were just stressed out and trying to mark out their territories even though they were all N/S. You may want to think about putting up catwalks and condos to expand your existing space. Without additional information, the litterboxes and space suggestions are the first things I could think offhand.

I'm not aware of any drugs that will stop spraying. Besides, it would be better to find and fix their problem before resorting to such measures, and those would be a temporary fix at best.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It's likely that it is more than just your 3 suspects who are peeing around.

Hopefully they are all spayed and neutered, if not, that's your first job since it is the most likely cause.

Good suggestions have been given so far. More boxes, in more places. A variety of litter types to cater to all preferences. Scrupulously clean boxes. Complete vet exams with urinalysis if not done already. There are ways to tell which cat is peeing, such as fluorescein dye given orally, one cat at a time.

The blacklight is a great idea; it will give you a true idea of the extent problem. Most owners are quite surprised when they see where the urine *really* is!

Drugs are never a sure thing in terms of behavior changes, and will almost never work without other environmental and behavior modification measures being taken at home. Plus they all have side effects, some of which are dangerous. Most of the time, these environmental and behavioral measures will resolve the problem without drugs.

Flower essences, on the other hand, are very safe and can help a great deal with territory issues (the most likely scenario here). See www.spiritessence.com. The formulas "Too Many Cats!" and "Peacemaker" are possibilities, as well as "Safe Space" and "Mine!" depending on the exact motivators of the problem.

Play Therapy can be an important part of reducing territorial stress (www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=l ... w&item=012) Also, increasing the vertical space by using cat trees and cat shelving (www.katwallks.com/) is very helpful.

For more on causes and cures, see the articles on litterbox secrets in our free article library. www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts