Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me?

I have a nine month old cat and every since we had her she frequently gets diahorrea :oops:

I have told the vet and he said to try different foods! Well I try a different food each month to see if it will help and so far it hasn't! If you know of any reasons other than food that could be the cause please can you help, before I spend even more money on vets bills!

She always seems healthy, she eats (not much but enough), she is normal sized, she drinks, gets plenty of exercise and affection, goes outside for about 10 mins most days ( she doesnt like going out for long???) she always goes in her litter tray (no accidents so far).

If u can suggest anything I would be grateful, Im completely baffled :?

Abi

(and Gizmo)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
What types of food have you tried? She may have worms or some other medical problem.. Have you tested her for worms? Worms and bad food is the most likely problems that cause diahrea

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah she has had worm treatments!

I have tried just biscuits, just meat and both!

I have tried the big brands like wiskers and go cat and some of the supermarkets own to try and find one she agrees with!

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Do you live in the states abigailleeming? If so, there are lots of different, less well known brands to try. From the sounds of it, the brands you have tried have all contained high amounts of preservatives and dyes which can give some cats tummy troubles. I would recommend you try a better quality brand such as Wellness, innova, felidae, or chicken soup for the cat lover's soul. You can find locations that sell these foods by going to the food's website.
Wellness' website is http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/
Also, be careful to switch to food a little at a time. You need to mix gradually larger amounts of the new food in with the old. It should take about a week. Switching foods (especially dry foods) quickly can cause diarrhea too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in England unfortunately. :(

I will see if they sell wellness anywhere around here. I have tried the brand they sell at the vets though, so Im not sure if it is her food?

It could be something else, Just don't know what other symptoms I should be looking for.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Try higher quality foods, it can make a world of difference from grocery store brands or regular brands at the pet store. I changed my cats to Chicken Soup for Cat lovers and one of my cats hasn't puked since, and their stool is normal. Good Luck :!:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You said you "told the vet," not that you had the cat examined. Did the vet actually look at the cat? This might be a prudent next step.

Also, was a complete fecal analysis done? It might be wise to have a stool sample sent to a lab for more accurate results.

If you're abruptly switching foods every month, this could be as much a part of the problem as anything. Also, just because the vet sells a food does not mean it's a good food. Most foods sold at the vet's are not. For more info on how to tell good food from bad, see "Selecting a Good Commercial Food" in our free article library, http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library. The "rules" are a little different in England, and unfortunately it's much easier to disguise a bad food there because the ingredient definitions are so vague. I know you can get Royal Canin there, the headquarters is in France; anything made by them is probably a lot better than most.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I have seen a vet, he examined her. They are a very good vet usually so I dont know why they didnt recommend a stool sample.

I have only followed intructions by the vet on her food, I will look for the brand mentioned.

Thankyou

1 - 9 of 9 Posts