Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has an assignment for her advanced World geography class: identify a recent natural disaster (within past 12 months :!: ) and exhibit how the area has adapted as a result.

We need a web link, or some ideas for search/research...we have been working on this for days and are totally out of ideas.

Important: She cannot use the tsunami in Asia last December :!:

This is an advanced class so it needs to be pretty involved. We are not able to get anywhere yet. I would be forever grateful to anything fellow member can suggest. We are lost and out ideas. :(

Thank you all SOOO much! :D :D :D

We got it! Thanks to all who helped! :worship

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Well, there are two typhoons in Taiwan per year. It causes significant amount of damage in Taiwan.

Also, the Florida horricanes early this year/late last year were pretty devestating.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Well, I think SARS would be an easy one, although I think that was 2 years ago.
Also, the mudslides in CA were last year.
Or wildfires, those happen every summer.
Can it be in the US, or does it have to be somewhere else?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Has your daughter considered going to the public library and speaking with the resource librarian? I would think the research aspect (her own, that is) would be inherent to her assignment. Absolutely no offense meant Brynn, although you asking on her behalf doesn't teach her how to conduct research the old fashioned way. If she's already out of ideas after a couple/few days (with your help, no less), should she be enrolled in an advanced class? Also, has she asked her teacher for any tips? I think this would be the very first place to start since it was this person who assigned it to your daughter's class.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Try searching "Bostcastle flood" on google.

Bostcastle was a village that flooded last year and almost everything was totally destroyed and washed away. Before it happened it was a popular tourist village in Cornwall, UK. There are plenty of photos and news stories on it.

Hayley x x

·
Registered
188 Posts
xilt said:
Has your daughter considered going to the public library and speaking with the resource librarian? I would think the research aspect (her own, that is) would be inherent to her assignment. Absolutely no offense meant Brynn, although you asking on her behalf doesn't teach her how to conduct research the old fashioned way. If she's already out of ideas after a couple/few days (with your help, no less), should she be enrolled in an advanced class? Also, has she asked her teacher for any tips? I think this would be the very first place to start since it was this person who assigned it to your daughter's class.
All knowledge starts from the phrase 'I don't know'. I do not belive that asking someone is against the assignment at all, but encourages new ideas to be developed.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
9th grade world geography was actually pretty hard. I took the credit-by-examination exam for that class two times and I was never able to get those credits.

If only I could get those credits I would have gotten the Texas Education Grant...*sigh*....

I ate three years of ramen noodles in college because I made the stupid mistake of thinking world geography was easy and I could test out of it.

Never underestimate world geography.....(Brynn, your daughter is so lucky. I wished I had someone to help me through my assignments :D )

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the ideas so far. :D

It can be anywhere in the world. She has been searching diligently for a while. The teacher explained this would be a difficult assignment.

She has now clarified something for me: she can use the tsunami if she can be specific. For example, one particular family that was affected or something along those lines. She is looking at using the upgrade to the early warning system for tsunami as a result of that particular incident.

We will continue to search...unfortunately, there is no library open on Sunday. She can turn it in late, but for a decreased grade. She had misunderstood the assignment in the beginning, thinking she just needed an example of a recent natural disaster, and used the earthquake in Japan last week. She is being given the opportunity to re-do it, as the teacher knows she was not as clear as she should have been on the assignment.

It is the adaptation that is important, and the time frame. It has to be in the last 12 months, that the disaster happened.

Thanks again to everyone. I wanted to post here because I knew that there were people from around the world who may be able to point us in the direction of something that didn't make the news headlines in the US.

Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The FL hurricanes of last year should still be within a year.. i have pics of them if you want...

Charley, Ivan, Frances, Jeanne,

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE

UPDATE:

Thank you all very much! She found an example by putting "2004 Florida Hurricane" in google, and found a link with a lot of specifics.

She is using one about a school that was destroyed :( and how a church "adopted" the school and the children attended classes there.

We had tried other googles of florida hurricanes but got directed primarily to weather centers or hurricane Andrew. Just that little addition of '2004' to the search was all she needed.

I kept thinking that was more than 12 months ago (being in summer, prior to August) but remembered that DH and I went to Orlando the last week of Sept and it was only a couple of days after the last storm passed.

Thank you all once again! I knew there was a lot of stuff out there, but just didn't know where to find specific adaptation info.

Thanks to all who helped! This is perfect!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I am glad you found it..

If you want frist hand pics of it.. let me know.. I have a TON from the morning after charley..and a few from the storm in the middle of the night...

·
Registered
78 Posts
JoeyM said:
xilt said:
All knowledge starts from the phrase 'I don't know'. I do not belive that asking someone is against the assignment at all, but encourages new ideas to be developed.
True that knowledge starts somewhere, and I provided a direction (public library) or a direct source (the person who assigned the task to her/his students). The opportunity to learn is about learning how to learn or to teach oneself, and this begins with research. And, the best place to start is at the source itself if possible, or a place where 2nd source knowledge is housed - this being a library.

·
Registered
188 Posts
xilt said:
True that knowledge starts somewhere, and I provided a direction (public library) or a direct source (the person who assigned the task to her/his students). The opportunity to learn is about learning how to learn or to teach oneself, and this begins with research. And, the best place to start is at the source itself if possible, or a place where 2nd source knowledge is housed - this being a library.
I would argue that today most libraries are not up to the challange of maintaining enough current information to be useful for projects.

·
Registered
78 Posts
JoeyM said:
xilt said:
I would argue that today most libraries are not up to the challange of maintaining enough current information to be useful for projects.
Most have terminals with search capabilities. One can search periodicals to find natural disasters within the past year and any articles in the major news zines. This right here is a tremendous start. Information today is more accessible with the advent of the WWW than ever before; so, one must get creative with their search terms as well as the caliber of sites they visit online.

One must indeed start somewhere. And, how one chooses to use what's available speaks loudly about their true capabilities and creative intelligence. The project itself is about adapting...the same can be said about conducting research, which is what is needed in this case.

I'll close with this: Conducting research at my local public library before the existence of the internet earned me several very generous scholarships at prestigious top-tiered universities and colleges - as an older student, no less. If it worked then for something as significant as a formal education, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work today for something substantially smaller as a project for a single class. This said, I respectfully beg to differ - and greatly, I might add.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I think asking for IDEAS is perfectly acceptable. Noone was asked to do the project, just for ideas.
This used to be referred to as brainstorming. We used to do it all the time. We all did our own projects, but I remember being in school and just tossing general ideas around.
How is asking a forum such as this one for ideas any different than going to the library and asking a librarian for ideas.
Jennifer

·
Registered
188 Posts
xilt said:
Most have terminals with search capabilities. One can search periodicals to find natural disasters within the past year and any articles in the major news zines. This right here is a tremendous start. Information today is more accessible with the advent of the WWW than ever before; so, one must get creative with their search terms as well as the caliber of sites they visit online.

One must indeed start somewhere. And, how one chooses to use what's available speaks loudly about their true capabilities and creative intelligence. The project itself is about adapting...the same can be said about conducting research, which is what is needed in this case.

I'll close with this: Conducting research at my local public library before the existence of the internet earned me several very generous scholarships at prestigious top-tiered universities and colleges - as an older student, no less. If it worked then for something as significant as a formal education, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work today for something substantially smaller as a project for a single class. This said, I respectfully beg to differ - and greatly, I might add.
The majority of libraries through out the country are either funded on the local or county level. The lion share of many of the libraries funding comes from local communities, communities who do not raise taxes for libraries because the population, for the most part, will not support the increase. This usually leaves a rather large gap between what is recieved by a library vs what is actually in exsistance, increasingly so in the fast paced research environment. A research paper published can be accessed in a few hours after publication from any home internet connection, while it may be weeks or months till a copy or abstract may show up in most libraries.

As someone who has spent years in the academic setting in a variety of rolls, take it from me...The age of sitting in a library to all hours of the night doing research is over.

·
Registered
188 Posts
jennifer2 said:
I think asking for IDEAS is perfectly acceptable. Noone was asked to do the project, just for ideas.
This used to be referred to as brainstorming. We used to do it all the time. We all did our own projects, but I remember being in school and just tossing general ideas around.
How is asking a forum such as this one for ideas any different than going to the library and asking a librarian for ideas.
Jennifer
Thank you, exactly the point.

·
Registered
78 Posts
jennifer2 said:
Jennifer
Through research one will encounter a number of topic ideas simultaneously, and will weed through from there. Asking others is getting their ideas, while asking a librarian is something entirely different. The librarian, at this point, will show the young inquisitive mind how to use the tools at hand as well as how to develop a repertoire of search terms.

It's the job of the librarian to help people to find things, so who better to ask?

·
Registered
78 Posts
JoeyM said:
The majority of libraries through out the country are either funded on the local or county level. The lion share of many of the libraries funding comes from local communities, communities who do not raise taxes for libraries because the population, for the most part, will not support the increase. This usually leaves a rather large gap between what is recieved by a library vs what is actually in exsistance, increasingly so in the fast paced research environment. A research paper published can be accessed in a few hours after publication from any home internet connection, while it may be weeks or months till a copy or abstract may show up in most libraries.

As someone who has spent years in the academic setting in a variety of rolls, take it from me...The age of sitting in a library to all hours of the night doing research is over.
I'm not speaking about what is physically on the shelves - I speak of using the systems in place at public libraries to tap into whatever databases they have access to. One does not need to find an actual library holding and stock up on change to make photocopies. And, from what I gather of Brynn and her family from her many posts and threads, I don't think their local library is lacking the very access I write about.

The WWW or internet is a good place to start searching, although - one must exercise tremendous caution in the quality of their research findings. This brings to mind the speech Barbra Streisand gave publicly on national television to promote the Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry...she pulled some apocryphal excerpts off the good ol' net and humiliated herself, the party, and her candidate. Citing legitimate sources is key in research.

edit to add: Spending hours at the library conducting research is what separates average students from those above.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts