Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have four litter boxes for the girls – two large ones and two smaller ones. Last Saturday, I decided to replace the two smaller ones with two larger ones, since I was getting a lot of stray litter outside of the smaller boxes. I went out and bought one new large box. For the other, I decided to use the box that my daughter left behind when she moved back to the UK with her cat, Neko, a few weeks back. I thoroughly cleaned out the “Neko box”, tossed out all of his old litter and put in new litter, along with a bit of the girls’ clean but used litter, in order to give the box “their” smell. By Wednesday, the girls were faithfully using three of the four big boxes, but they steadfastly refused to use the Neko box. I presume they can still smell Neko despite my cleaning attempts…and the girls didn’t like Neko! Still, I figured I’d just leave it there and see what happened.

Yesterday, one of the girls (don’t know which one) finally decided to use the Neko box. But, boy, did she get her point across. I went into the room where the Neko box is located, and found litter flung far and wide. What a mess! I had visions of one of the girls in the Neko box, digging furiously and flinging litter all about, while thinking: “So, Susan thinks she can make me use this smelly Neko box, does she?” Dig, fling. “Well, I’ll show her.” Dig, fling. “Here’s a nice mess for her to clean up.” Fling, fling, fling. “Next time, she’ll think twice about putting a smelly boy’s box in my room.” Dig, fling, fling…

I scooped the box and there was the grand total of two very tiny pieces of poop in this very large box, hardly enough to justify the mountain of litter outside of the box, leading me to believe they now have it in for me. I swept up the litter and we shall see what their next move will be. It has now come down to a battle of wits. I suspect I’m going to lose. :?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Haha. The image of the Neko box with scattered litter all around it isn't funny when you're the one cleaning up, but your commentary on what she must be thinking is quite amusing.

Did you clean the Neko box out with soap and water too? Maybe that'll get out his smell.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Haha, your cats do seem to be very strong-willed!
I usually get up at 6am for work, when Evie decides to help me along joining me in the bathroom and helping me put my make-up on...However I had the day off today, and Evie obviously objected to my lie in this morning - she decided she'd have a tiny poop, but spend 15minutes flinging litter EVERYWHERE! I couldn't believe it when I checked, it was all over the hall and she was making a right racket. I got some lovely bits stuck between my toes, and Mitzi didn't understand what had happened! Evie then decided to spend the next half an hour frantically darting up and down the stairs, round and round the house, she then made a den out of the throw from the bed and lastly found 'Mr Yellow Mousy' who has a big bell and plonked it on the bed right in front of me. Subtle Evie, subtle.

Cats... They definitely rule the roost!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Susan, that was funny! (lol).....I'm sure not the cleanup tho! Cats have such a keen sense of smell it may be impossible to get out Niko's scent. I think I would forget about Niko's box altogether and get a new one, before the girls decide to make a bigger fuss by peeing outside the boxes somewhere else.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alpaca: I first used a diluted bleach solution, rinsed thoroughly, and then washed it again with soap (well Dove dish soap) and water. Perhaps I should have used Nature's Miracle!

JanRebecca: When I first walked into the room and saw the mess, I burst out laughing. I thought, "You little monkeys"!

Evie: Yes, that was subtle of Evie...I'd never heard of Ragdolls being strong-willed, but perhaps they are.

catloverami: I was kind of hoping they just wouldn't use the Neko box and I could remove it...since four boxes for two cats is likely at least one more than I need. But, you hit the nail on the head, I've never had any litter box problems with the girls, and I'd hate to do anything that might result in problems. So, I suspect I will just buy another box next time I'm out. But, for now, I'm having fun watching their reactions, even though it means a bit of sweeping on my part. :)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm pleased to report the girls used the Neko box today and last night, without mountains of litter being flung about. So, perhaps this is a battle I will win!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I was gonna say I'd give it a few days and if there were further problems then get rid of the Neko box. Glad to hear things are working out.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No need to apologize. Seeing the mountain of litter gave me a chuckle too. As for the war, it ended long ago...they won! :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
All mine have pretty much stopped using the litter trays now - they have access to the outside and use soil out there (the weegies use the pots for some reason).

When it's raining, they resent the litter tray but use it out of desperation. Eric spends ages scratching in the litter, and I usually find that he's turned the entire tray into one huge litter mountain! He scrapes all the litter out of the corners too :D

They do certainly like to get their point across :D

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They definitely like to get their point across, Coyote. Mine don't go outside, on top of which we can't even see the soil outside anymore given all the snow.

I'm happy to say that, since this past weekend, the girls are now using the Neko box regularly, without mountains of litter being tossed around. Nice to see I won for once...will likely never happen again!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Susan,

Love this!

um....I wouldn't place any bets on this yet if I were you. Don't want to jinx you - but - - well. . enough said.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts