Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been particularly good at introducing myself so in a way it's good that I'm forced to do this! Well the short of it is I'm a native southern Californian who decided to heed the call of her parents and attend their University in the midwest (Go Hawkeyes) so I trotted out here and discovered what a REAL winter is like (turns out we don't have those in orange county beach cities).

I actually have allergies to cats, the kind where I can be in the room for about a half hour before I start the sneezing and feel it in my throat...but all bets are off if i pet them and touch my eyes!

I have always loved cats, with their playfulness and at times their amazing sense of calmness (great study partners!). I detested the results of my allergy tests...allergic to Dust and Cats :(

A friend had told me she had heard of a cat that had a lower FEL-D1 protein where people with mild to moderate allergies had reduced symptoms, I was intrigued, being in biochemistry I was rearing to google things! I ended up doing over a year of research on the Siberian Cat. I felt like it was an amazing fit. I have always loved big cats, a friend with a maine **** always made me jealous! Well, after looking around I started to email a few breeders within my 1000 mile radius. With my allergy situation I knew that it wasnt a simple case of just going to the pound (i had an allergy attack once at a cat shelter).

I was delighted by the warmth of responses and with just how informative they were with me, all requiring an allergy test with the kitten after being approved as a family home, I considered this a must, as desperate as I wanted a cat I also knew I wanted to be able to snuggle, cuddle and play to my hearts content without the constant stress of "did i touch my eyes?" "did I take the allegra?" "Dont forget to wash your hands"... Well I found a wonderful breeder in Minnesota and after a lot of back and forth as well as a nice long drive when my lil bundle of joy was ready for an allergy visit, I had wanted a boy but the litter had just 1 boy and another family had first claim to him. The visit went wonderfully, I loved the breeder, with all my research into everything I felt fairly confident and was reassured upon my visit. I had no reaction to the kittens or siberian cats... I did not wash my hands for 5 hours following my visit, no reaction which was AMAZING, I'm not usually that lucky!

On New Years day I picked up my girl, she has been amazing from day 1. The 5 hour car ride home she curled up in my lap and just relaxed, the breeder said she is perfectly to type, and has a beautiful mackerel tabby look. She got a check up at 6 months and weighed in at 8lbs 2 oz. She is everything I wanted and won over my boyfriend from the first moment he saw her... and him a "confirmed dog person". She has gotten along wonderfully with his 4 year old Siberian/shepherd mix...

Sorry for the rambling. Hope to post some photos soon :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!

I'm also a complete newbie here, so it feels weird to say "welcome"; so I'll just say, "Nice to meet you!" I always felt sorry for people who are allergic to cats since that would be my personal nightmare, so I'm really happy for you that you managed to fulfil your dream of getting your own (not so) little feline companion. Also it's really cool that you succeeded in "converting" your boyfriend! Having a fiancé who is just as much of a cat lover as I am, I know how wonderful it is to be able to share the joy with someone you love...it multiplies! Oh, and a cat and a dog that are good friends can be so cute - I'm sure you'll have plenty of awesome photo opportunities.

All the best to the four of you!

PS: I'm kind of "allergic" to most kinds of science (as in, I sucked at it in school), but biochemistry has always fascinated me...are you looking to work in any particular field or do you already?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Welcome. Go Hawks! I grew up in the area & family is there. Try out the skating rink at the mall this summer. Makes a nice break from the heat in August.
I have 2 Maine ***** plus 4 DSH. Love the look of a mackeral tabby. Find out if she likes to get wet... Our guys do not mind baths & Tig (RIP) loved water whether it was the salmon run out back (in WA State), the bathtub or the fish tank. Baths reduce the allergens - daughter was very allergic. Even a wipedown with a washrag helps. Of course you do run the risk of never being able to take a bath alone again and having "help" doing the dishes. avatar is PuddyWoW in the sink - he likes to play in water too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts