Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used to have a cat who gave birth to kitten that was a rich, glossy brown; Never seen another like it; why is this such a rare color? He was a beauty! just been niggling on my mind. thanks.

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
This quote and picture are from www.havanabrown.com/
The rare - Havana Brown cat breed originated as the result of breeding a black domestic cat carrying the brown recessive gene and a seal or chocolate point Siamese cat. As the breed was undergoing further development, an occasional Russian Blue cat was also used. Please read the articles on the origin for more information about the breed. Did you know that the color "Brown" is one of the rarest colors and most difficult to achieve...
Come to think of it, other than the sealpoint markings on my Siamese, I have never seen a brown cat! I'm glad you asked. It's possible a black cat and Sealpoint Siamese are in your cat's heritage. Too bad you didn't keep her, now that we consider how rare they are!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe it or not, this cat was closest to the color of a chestnut horse! that's the only thing that comes close. Her ma was just a feral stray that we took in.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Could it be that the kitten was chocolate?

This is how chocolate looks like in British Shorthairs:

This is how it looks lika in the Burmese:

Then there's the classic agout in the Abyssinnians and the Somalis, search the web for these breeds and see if ou find the color. The colors in Abys and Somalis are very special and are seldom found in other cats than Abys and Somalis.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I've seen a brown mixed breed just once before. It looked like that havana brown Jeanie posted a picture of. Not a spot of white on it. It was the runt of its litter. I wonder if it survived. :?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But ya'll This Kitties coat was a very glossy,reddish brown color! I wish I could find an example of this shade :? So frustrating!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My one cat is chocolate and white (like a holstein, but chocolate instead of black). He only the second brown cat I saw come into the shelter in about 3 years (about 9,000 cats a year would come through).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts