Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Background - We have three spayed females cats, all of whom we got as kittens. The oldest two are going to be 2 years old in May, and the youngest will be two in July I believe.

On the 15th, we adopted a male kitten that is 8 months old (Dino) and neutered. He has been confined to part of the upstairs that includes the laundry room, a bedroom, and a closet because we still can't leave him unsupervised with our other cats. We do let him mingle with the other cats a couple times a day for short periods. I know kittens have energy, but Dino has a TON of energy...more than any of our other kittens did. He never sits still for long. Basically,we need to let him out and play with him to the point of exhaustion or he will try to play with mainly Ava, who gets mad about him pouncing on her. They'll chase each other around, but both cats end up getting a little upset. The cats have not hurt each other, but it's still not like when the females chase each other around for play. Could part of the reason for his excessive energy be because he's cooped up by himself for most of the day? I hate doing that to him, but I know it's necessary at this point. Also, does he just chase Ava around and not the other cats because she's the one that responds the most to him pouncing? I don't think she'd be as upset if he wasn't constantly trying to play. It's like she needs a break.

Also, and this is very important to me to fix, he seems to think hands and feet and HAIR are toys. He is a very friendly cat and loves attention, but if you start petting him he will more often than not paw at your hands or nibble on them. He doesn't take his claws out when he does this, except with my husband's friend, but that's because the friend was basically encouraging Dino to play with his hands. (I don't like that.) I'm not sure what to do about this because none of our other cats did it. I don't think it's a situation where he's trying to tell us he doesn't want to be pet, because if you stop petting him he rubs against you/climbs on your lap/rolls around like he wants you to continue.

If anyone has any suggestions on either issue, I'd appreciate the information. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Hmmm. The energetic part will solve itself with age. Another years or two will tell a lot about his energy level as a young adult - if you survive that long! He sounds like quite a handful for sure. The love biting can be dampened with a firm - maybe even loud - NO! The pawing sans claws would not bother me I think unless it escalates to using claws. I think time is your best friend here. Love, patience and training using NO! or redirecting his boundless energy to toys is your friend. I'm sure more will chime in. I'm no kitten expert myself.

·
Registered
880 Posts
8 months old is getting toward the tail end of their rowdy kitten energy...think of him as a 13 or 14 year old human boy. Lots of energy, but not enough sense to control it. :) As Marcia said, time should calm him (and lots of play, in the mean time). By the time he's 1 year, he should hopefully mellow some.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! We have been letting him out of his area and playing with him a ton, especially since we had a snow storm and were home allllll weekend. He only seems to want to play with hands when he is apart from the other cats and just has people around.

Now I just wish all the cats would get along so I could stop putting him in those three rooms by himself, but I know that can't be rushed.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I would definitely make sure that no one (friends or not) play with him with their hands. He is your cat and you are the ones who will have to put up with the consequences. It is not fair to the cat either to be having to correct him for something he has been encouraged to do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankfully, he doesn't come over very often anyways, and we did tell him to stop. We've found that Dino only does this when he is alone for most of the day, and I truly believe that he will stop doing this once he's allowed to be out with the other cats freely...so that's good!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would definitely make sure that no one (friends or not) play with him with their hands. He is your cat and you are the ones who will have to put up with the consequences. It is not fair to the cat either to be having to correct him for something he has been encouraged to do.
+1 to this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts