Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girls were recently switched to an all wet diet. I am feeding them EVO and I am wondering if people cut up the food or just leave it as is? I use the 5.5 oz cans and they get 1/2 in the mornng and the other 1/2 in the evening. It seems they leave a bit in the bowl around the corners and I am not sure if it because they can't get it out? I use small 7 oz stainless steel bowls. Also it is normal for them to drink and poop less now that they are on all wet food?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Our kitties drank WAY less when they started on all wet food. Like almost nothing. Still peed lots though! Poop was about the same, a little less dry, maybe a little less volume? We generally chunk up our wet food if it's "pasty" and just mush it a bit if it's really mushy to begin with. We also use bowls with really gentle curved sides and they seem to be able to lap/pull most of the food off the sides eventually!

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Old china plates have always worked best for me, rather than bowls. I don't cut up canned food. I would only mash and smear on the plate if I had a fast piggy eater to make it slower to eat, oftentimes cats vomit after eating if they eat too much too fast. Less water is usually consumed when on wet food.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I used to cut it up, put it on a plate and add hot water. Now I just cut it up inside the can and give it to him.
Wet food gives them more moisture, so yes they will drink less water. And poop less too. :)

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I serve it in a bowl with very hot water to warm it up. I mash it all up with a fork to make a batter that he slops up.

If I just spoon it into the bowl he licks at it until it's a smooth oval shape and then leaves it. He doesn't like biting into canned food.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I always thought you were supposed to feed a full can twice a day.

A'course, that's with cheap junk.... maybe since the Evo is more nutritious, they won't need as much? Or if they start loosing weight, you would know it's not enough.

And yes, less pee and poop because they are getting better nutrition, so their bodies don't need to eliminate as many toxins and waste and stuff.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I always thought you were supposed to feed a full can twice a day.

A'course, that's with cheap junk.... maybe since the Evo is more nutritious, they won't need as much? Or if they start loosing weight, you would know it's not enough.

And yes, less pee and poop because they are getting better nutrition, so their bodies don't need to eliminate as many toxins and waste and stuff.
Unless your cat is a Maine **** or some other large breed (not fat, but actually big-boned), 2 cans is way too much..

Junk food is full of carbs, so less would be needed in order to keep your cat at a good weight, but more would be needed to make them feel full.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Depends on the size of the EVO can. The 13.2 oz can reads that you should feed 1/2 can per 7lbs of body weight. MowMow gets about 3/4 of the can (the large can) of the 95% beef split between 3 meals.

That would be about two of the 5.5 oz cans.

If he seems to be getting pudgy then I cut him back a bit. If I notice he's looking lean I increase it a bit.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Depends on the size of the EVO can. The 13.2 oz can reads that you should feed 1/2 can per 7lbs of body weight. MowMow gets about 3/4 of the can (the large can) of the 95% beef split between 3 meals.

That would be about two of the 5.5 oz cans.

If he seems to be getting pudgy then I cut him back a bit. If I notice he's looking lean I increase it a bit.
I couldn't find how many calories are in a 5.5oz can, but I know that EVO has more calories than almost any brand out there. And even as good as they are, I wouldn't follow the directions on the back, I would follow calorie count.

On Dr Pierson's website, she uses a formula to come up with the average amount of calories a 12lb cat should consume: around 233. (Somewhere on there, she mentions more specific calorie counts, but I can't seem to find it.) She then goes on to say that for most cats, that is way too much.
So, according to the chart I linked, your cat would be getting fatter by the second if you fed him two cans of EVO.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
An average starting place for feeding wet food is one 5.5-6 oz can per day for a 10 lb cat. Then adjust based on weight loss or gain. Another way to figure daily calorie requirements is 20-25 calories per lb based on activity level...very active get 25, slugs get 20.

Don't pay attention to what's on the cans...your cat will be big as a house before you know it...

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Jeebus, now i'm worried something is wrong with him :p he gets what EVO suggests on the can and by looking at him him from the top he's lean, imo. I can find his ribs without digging and he has the little indention around his midsection.

Maybe he just races around the place too much...

·
Registered
801 Posts
Jeebus, now i'm worried something is wrong with him :p he gets what EVO suggests on the can and by looking at him him from the top he's lean, imo. I can find his ribs without digging and he has the little indention around his midsection.

Maybe he just races around the place too much...
How old is MowMow? (im sure you've said at one point but I don't remember)
If he's still under a year then he is still growing and can afford the extra food.
Otherwise, yes, I would lessen his food. Do you have a link to a pic of him standing up and another of him laying down?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Before I switched to raw, I fed some canned EVO in their rotation. Great brand...I found the Venison was a big hit with everyone. I also feed out of stainless steel dishes (I just put place mats down underneath since starting raw in case of food draggage, hehe). I never fed according to the directions on the back of the cans though...I found it was too much, especially for Samantha who is a slug a lot of the time, but will eat everything and anything if you let her (she has the potential to be a fat cat, heh). I always mashed mine up with a fork, and sometimes I'd add a little warm water for a different consistency.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts