Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to air this somewhere, but didn't want to burden my wife with this particular bit of info. Your comments or advice would be appreciated.

I should give you a heads up that some folks may find this kind of disturbing. If you are having a rough day, or your pet has recently passed away, maybe give this a pass.

A few days back, I was doing a service call at a vet's office in another city. Really professional looking place, friendly staff, clean office, and beautiful grounds. I was working in the back of the building, and had my tools sitting on this large tupperware like bin. (about 4' X 1 1/2' X 2').

Halfway through my job, this guy pulls up next to the bin in his sedan. He comes over and asks me if I can move my tools. Sure, no problem. He then opens the bin, and hauls out what appears to be three thick black plastic garbage bags filled to various capacities. He casually tosses them in the trunk of his car and tells me that they are dead animals. He then drives off.

I was a little bit shocked at his attitude, to say the least. I realize that once an animal passes away, his or her body is no longer a vessel for their spirit. I also realize that having the job of hauling away deceased pets cannot be easy. Still, show a little respect, dude. I never asked him what he was doing, by the way. He just blurted it out.

If I happened to see this as joe citizen, I would have told the vet's office right then and there. Because I work for a large company, drive a very well marked company vehicle, and this happened in a very small city, I hesitate to tell them what happened. It could create ripples in the community, and possibly get me in trouble.

How would you handle this? Let it slide? Tell the vet's office? Tell someone else?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I can't imagine if you had a job like that, that you would want to get too emotionally involved with exactly what you are doing. I for one figured that was how it was handled. I am going to be cremated and I just want to make sure I am dead. Then, well....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Even so, being on their way to a crematorium, their bodies should still be treated with respect. Even just reading this makes me upset thinking about Mocha (she was cremated and I had a hard time leaving her body at the vets). I personally tend to avoid confrontation if I can...but even I might go into the vet's office and casually mention to the vet that you seen this. Maybe the vet doesn't know they are treating these bodies like this...it is bad publicity. If I lived there and seen that, you can guarantee there is no way in (fill in the blank) that I would take my cat there....to me that would be reflective of the lack of compassion on the vet's part. I trust you to put my beloved baby to sleep and to treat the body respectfully until I get my ashes back. Whether this is a stray or whatever....it is still reflective of the vet's business.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I understand. I asked my vet when my dog died, will the body be treated with respect but I felt that once it left his hands, that is what would happen. There would have to be separate coffin like containers for it to be different. Nothing wrong with telling the vet.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would tell the vet.

Although the guy probably has a legitimate reason to be transporting the pets' bodies (maybe to the crematorium, as Krissy suggests) he needs to treat their remains with more respect.

What if someone whose pet had just been put to sleep saw that? The owner would probably be very upset, and the vet could lose business. For that reason alone, I would think the vet would want to know.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Talk to the vet, not someone in the office. That's not how animals heading to cremation should be handled. Were each of them even individually identified? When the person gets the remains back, how the heck do they even know if it belongs to their pet?? That's a disgusting way to treat them.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
We don't know if the animal had some sort of identification on it's body. Kat because it wasn't on the bag doesn't mean they isn't any at all.

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
I'm more concerned with the vet's office leaving them outside in a container where anything could happen to them than with the guy who was a little rough with bags. Heck, the OP was using the container was a tool bench. Those animals should have been in a freezer until they were picked up.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I think I may be a bit jaded, but while it is disturbing and not really something we want to see our think about, I think it's kind of expected. It's not right by any means though. There was a story on the news a while back about animal crematorium scams. And I dont think it's only animals either. I still remember going to the funeral home with my mom after my grandpa passed away and the guy was trying to sell a nicer, read more expensive, coffin and softer pillows and things like that. He was clearly trying to take advantage of the grieving family. It was absolutely disgusting.

I know when my friends dog passed away she kept him overnight and drove him to the crematorium herself the next morning for a private cremation. I think if you really want to be sure that's the only way. I'm not sure I could do that though.

·
Registered
258 Posts
"Three black garbage bags filled to various capacities" would indicate they were not put there with care or marked, or at least that's how I view it.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
I took that to read some bags were full (larger dogs) and some bags were not so full (smaller dogs or cats).

They put human remains in plastic bags without identification on the bag too..... hence the term 'toe tag'....

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
These could also have been some deceased pets, that people didn't either want to take home and bury, or have cremated...
Very sad...
I would mention it to the vet in charge, quietly, and see what the response is...

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Sighs, hate to say it...the vet already knows this. I don't want to upset anyone...but just hope that's where they are really going...and not on the side of thge road....which HAS happened

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The optimist in me has to hope that inside those larger bags they were packed carefully inside individual bags.
after Teddy died we received a box with his ashes, beautiful little clipping of his fur, and his footprint set in stone.
The fur and the footprint were both obviously his. So I'm glad at least some places are doing it right.
I would tell the vet, gently what you saw.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
There is no excuse. What if by coincidence, you had been the owner of one of those pets? I'm sure undertakers are "hardened" but they are professional enough not to show it to the outside.

·
Super Moderator
26,540 Posts
Well, I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I don't see anything horrible about what this guy did - if these were, in fact, "throwaway pets." If these were bodies of animals that nobody wanted cremated, why should this guy care any more than their owners, who obviously didn't care what happened to them? Plus, if he's not a "pet" guy, they're just trash to him.

If his truck was unmarked, chances are pretty good that he was just collecting the vet's "trash" and not an employee of any cremation company. He was just doing his job, probably repeating something he does 8 hours a day.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I disagree Marie. Even if these are "throwaway" pets that no one cared about, if I lived in that town, would I know that? I would see an animal's remains treated disrespectfully and that would remain with me when it came time to choose a vet to care for my pet or to help my pet pass to the Bridge. To me, this is just good business sense. How these "throwaway" pets' or beloved pets' remains are treated is still a reflection of the vet office. I would NEVER take my pet to a vet if I seen them treat any remains in that manner; I would not feel confident that they CARE about the animals they treat. And, I would always wonder if they treated MY pet that way when I wasn't around to directly supervise.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts