Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so ive had Iris now for a few weeks and everything seems to be going well but I do have a few questions.

Shes pretty affectionate but only when shes tired it seems like.. when shes awake and I like to say "in the zone" she seems like shes scared of every little movement or sound. But when shes not in the zone the movements or sounds don't really bother her.

Also she nibbles through her food little by little everyday.. but I give her the reccomended amount. So its kind of like free feeding.. but she just takes forever to eat. Is this normal?

Also Id like to start giving her a bath maybe once a month or two.. She is small enough to wash in the sink but should I just do it in the bathtub? if anyone has tips on washing so she wont hate me that would be nice lol

thx :]

·
Registered
111 Posts
She probably is a little scared, you say you've only had her a few weeks. It takes time to get used to her new environment.

Kittens should eat small meals 3 or 4 times a day; for now her grazing behavior is probably OK but when she gets older it's best to put her on a schedule.

Why do you want to bathe her? Cats do a pretty good job of grooming themselves. If you're concerned about shedding you can brush her very day but bathing isn't necessary.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it normal for kittens do be like that only when they are playing? I mean I can tell when she doesn't want to be held or pet.. but its frustrating sometimes when she just seems so weird about things. Like I said when shes not darting around and playing shes not like this at all.. she isn't bothered by sudden movements or anything. Maybe shes trying to be sneaky and hide her presence to simulate hunting when shes playing? I dunno..

Shes eating alot more than 4x a day. She kinda nibbles sometimes like shes already gone to the bowl 2x within this hour.

As far as the bathes a few people told me to start young so they get used to it.. I know they dont particularly need it but I mean it couldnt hurt right?

·
Registered
111 Posts
No, bathing can't hurt but it's just not necessary and I personally wouldn't want to do something to my cat that they don't like if it I didn't have to, KWIM? But that's just me, if you really want to bathe your cat once a month the ASPCA website has some good tips.

All kittens are hyper and weird at times, don't worry about it. Sounds like she's just playing and getting herself worked up. Totally normal.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree totally normal when Leelu is in "play mode" I can send her jumping straight up in the air just by shifting my legs lol.
As for bathing yes the younger you do it the easier it is. Use a very mild cat shampoo and conditioner (if longer furred). I would use the sink as it'd prob be easier on your back, and rinse rinse rinse!! You'll want to do a good brush before you bathe and while you're blow drying (again if long furred). Dry off well!
Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
If she's a longhaired kitty, it's better to get her used to it, but she should be at least 4 months old. Kitchen or bathroom double sinks are the easiest, as one can be used as rinse water. The important thing is to remember that a cat's temperature is higher than a human's, and nothing will put a cat off a bath faster is water that feels too cool for it. So it should be as close to its body temp. as possible....say 100-102F. It should be quite warm but not really hot either. It's important to towel dry kitten, and to dry them as quickly as possible, in as warm a room as possible. A heat lamp is good. You definitely don't want kitty to get chilled. Some will tolerate a blow dryer on "low", and that's the fastest way to dry a cat. Letting kitty sit in the sun is another option, but do comb out and fluff up the coat as it is drying. Good luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Here are my bath tips:

Be sure to have the water already running lightly when you take her for the bath. Don't prefill and then put her in or it'll scare her when you run rinse water, and don't put her in an empty tub and then fill b/c the sudden noise, sensation, and all that will freak her out. And like LeeLuMonster said, rinse well!

·
Registered
115 Posts
If she's a longhaired kitty, it's better to get her used to it, but she should be at least 4 months old. Kitchen or bathroom double sinks are the easiest, as one can be used as rinse water. The important thing is to remember that a cat's temperature is higher than a human's, and nothing will put a cat off a bath faster is water that feels too cool for it. So it should be as close to its body temp. as possible....say 100-102F. It should be quite warm but not really hot either. It's important to towel dry kitten, and to dry them as quickly as possible, in as warm a room as possible. A heat lamp is good. You definitely don't want kitty to get chilled. Some will tolerate a blow dryer on "low", and that's the fastest way to dry a cat. Letting kitty sit in the sun is another option, but do comb out and fluff up the coat as it is drying. Good luck!
Good advice! My new kitty is part long hair and she was being fostered with 8 other kitties! She came home last night and we renamed her Eleanor. She quickly was nicknamed Smelleanor. She stinks!! I have a cat and know they clean themselves but she smells like 8 other kitties tracked poop all over her. She jumped in the shower this morning by accident and didn't seem to hate it. She smells a little better now but I'd love to take a little soap to her. I read regular dishsoap like Dawn is okay? Or shampoo but rinsed very well?

·
Registered
144 Posts
@Robin1109- If you don't have any cat shampoo, you can use your shampoo. I personally wouldn't use Dawn unless she had grease or oil on her since it would strip natural oils away worse than human shampoo. Cat shampoo is best, but in a pinch diluted human or better yet, baby shampoo, will suffice. Gently massage her paws as you wash her, to get nasty litter/poopy stuff out from between her toes and pads. Be sure to rinse very, very well, since she'll be grooming herself as she dries. You don't want her to lick up any soap residue. I don't blame you for wanting to wash her after coming home. Mine smelled like the shelter and had fleas when I brought her home and she went directly into the sink for a bath.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts