Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided I want to have both of my cats microchipped to link their identity to me.
They are strictly indoor cats, but I feel like I am taking a more proactive protective role if I microchip them. I don't yet have an appt, but I'll be making one soon.

A few questions:
Do you feel the implantation procedure was painful for your pet?
Did the area the chip was placed seem tender to the pet afterwords?
Were any pain meds given to numb the area the chip was injected into?
Did the implantation site bleed at all?
Did the implantation site seem itchy for your pet?

Anything else I should know?

I'm considering going with the AvidID system, as this seems widely used in the USA.
Any opinions/info on which chip is most widely used in the US??

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Kiera was microchipped as part of the adoption process - I wasn't there when they did it, so i can't answer questions about if it seemed painful at the time, but Kiera has at NO time seemed to be in any kind of pane in that area (below the shoulderblade). They did not give me any medication and there was no visual problems (I don't even know which shoulder they put it under!)

I hope that helps...

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
We had our dog microchipped, and it didn't seem to bother him at all. It's only about the size of a grain of rice, and if they put in in between the shoulder blades there's so much skin there, I don't know if he felt it or it bothered him, but I doubt it. No bleeding, no pain medication, just some treats.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Both our kittens were chipped when they were 12 weeks old. The first few days you felt the chip, at least on the female since hse was a bit thinner. Now I can't feel them at all (they are 5.5 months old)

The implant is not hurtful as far as I know, it's inserted under the skin and the area has very loose skin (the scuff). They didn't seem to mind us petting them afterwards anyway.

I don't know much about the procedure since I wasn't with them when it was done, but I'd think it's so fast there's no use to numb the area. Never saw any bleeding and they never did seem to bother about it or acknowledge it afterwards (we picked them up at the breeder the same day)

I have no idea about different systems used in the US. Here in Sweden we use one type and that's what I got. :D

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Ive had 4 of my 5 cats done.

Shop around for prices. I phoned everywhere that did it in my area and the price difference was huge.
I only have the basic chips in which have the identity/ownership but there are new ones out now which have thermometers built into them.

the needle looks scarey. the vet cleaned the area that was being done (back of the neck) none of mine seemed to make an issue out of it, it doesnt seen to irritate them and there has been no problems since. It didnt bleed and it wasnt numbed either.

Most of all its a huge peice of mind that if they do get out or loose thier collar they still have some identity on them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i had kirby microchipped only a few days back, and to answer your questions, yes i do think it was painful for him, but not too bad, he meowed once but didnt try to escape or bite. I guess it's just like an injection to them. The place the chip was inserted didnt seem at all painful after, I stroked him there to sooth him and he didnt seem to mind at all. He wasn't given any medicine at all and there was no bleeding either. It also doesnt seem at all itchy.

Kirby is also an indoor cat, but I still wanted him microchipped just incase. I'd go for it if I were you, its not too pricey, and the lifetime guarantee of being able to have your pet tracked to you is worth that visit to the vets.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My vet micro chipped Cleveland when he was being neautered so can't answer the pain thing ut there didn't seem to be any after effects. Then again he'd just had his bits harshly treated so probably wouldn't notice a sore neck 8O

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
8O Oh, poor Cleveland probably wouldn't have noticed, after his bits were treated harshly and all lol. Tell Cleveland I'm sorry for laughing, I don't mean to laugh at his misery, it's just funny the way you worded it!!

Thanks so much for all the replies and opinions; I really appreciate the responses.
I'm definitely going to call around for the best price today and schedule an appt.
I feel much better about scheduling this now!!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have chipped a lot of cats. Most don't even seem to notice, though once in a while you'll get a little noise of objection. Even though it's a big needle, it's very sharp. Basically it is just a quick injection, and then you're done. They don't really bleed unless you are unlucky enough to hit a good sized venule (extremely rare).

I've only seen one bad reaction (my own cat, of course); he developed a sterile abscess all down his leg. After that I always gave a dose of homeopathic Ledum 30c after chip implantation and never saw any other problems.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Do you feel the implantation procedure was painful for your pet? No, didn't seem to notice it.
Did the area the chip was placed seem tender to the pet afterwords? No.
Were any pain meds given to numb the area the chip was injected into? No.
Did the implantation site bleed at all? No.
Did the implantation site seem itchy for your pet? No.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have used Home Again Chips for 2 dogs.

I have helped many cats/dogs get microchipped before with the Banfield chips, standard sized needle, same as any other.
It really depends on the animal, some will completely freak out to the point where you are un able to do it, others will not even notice it happen.
Typically yes it does bleed a little once you pull the niddle out but will quickly stop. Some pets are tender in the area for a few days, again this depends on your pet. Otherwise they will be fine.

I know a lot of places will not recommend getting it done until said animal is bigger, as they feel it can hurt more for smaller animals kittens/puppys as they use the same needle size.

It's up to you. I think it's a good choice for the one time deal :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dusty was microchipped at 9 wks old(I think).and he never acted like it hurt or anything. He had it done along with his routine vaccinations. I think his chip is an Avid too.

Rebekah slave to Dusty(6 months) and Muffin(14 yrs)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I'm so glad so many people (er, pets, I should say!) had good experiences with the id's.
I'm still in the process of calling around, and, yes, as some of you mentioned, the price range (difference) for this procedure is amazing!!
I also wasn't expecting to find that some of the big vet places around here don't do ID's - they instead recommend tattooing in the ear. I have however found many many vet offices very close to me who do inject the ID's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts