Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the great not so white north! I took in a cat that came to me while fixing my car in the winter. I was hesitant at first but after watching the poor thing spend the weekend in my garage because it was cold outside I figure I might as well take her in and me and my roommates love her.

I took her to the vet and got her approx. age and shots and all that and only thing wrong was she was a little starved for food. Rossi has a deep shiny black coat and now a year n a half old and doing great. I'm really baffled by how well behaved she is. She knows she can only scratch up the old knitted chairs, she even plays fetch with her toys it's awesome! A little discipline for the table and counters in the beginning but now it's on to toilet training? haha just jokes.

What I would like to know is how often should I be taking her to the vet for a physical, rabies shot, fecal exam, and FVRVC? Because to me it seems like my vet is just trying to run up my bill.

Thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welcome!

Cats should have annual check-ups, so once a year. If your cat is healthy, the vet shouldn't be asking to see her more than that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome! Congratulations. It does seem like the vet tries to run up a bill sometimes! Once a year and then every 6 months once the kitty is considered "mature," I think at about 10 years old.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
FVRVC should be 3 sets between 2-5 months old, then one booster at 1 year old. After that it's every 3 years. Physical & fecal can be done either annually, or when you take your cat for vaccine. If your cat will be outdoor, then better do it annually. Rabies, it depends on the law in your area. Some places require annual rabies shot by law. Otherwise, you can also do the "one at 1 year old then every 3 years".

PS: If she is not spayed yet, it's time to do it :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts