Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few weeks, since the last time I was at my dr.'s office, my doc's been worried abuot my heart rate. Sometimes my heart races, other times I FEEL like it's racing, but my BPMs are within normal range. Yestderday, I felt short of breath and like my heart was racing, (as I do this morning), so I went and had my heart rate checked (for the 5th time in the past month). My BPMs were normal, but I still had symptoms.

The nurse then asked me if I'd ever been diagnosed with a heart defect. "No," I said. She asked how often I got specific symptoms. Well, I'm fatigued quite often. I take naps in the afternoon almost every day...and I'm only 22!! So, she said that it's possible that I have a heart murmur. I was told that most murmurs are harmless, but I'm worried because heart problems run in my mother's side of the family. With everything I've got on my mind at the moment (grad school, moving next summer, finding a teaching job...), this is almost too much. I hope nothing's wrong with me, but at the same time, it would be nice to know that I'm not fatigued all the time because I'm just lazy. You know? :wink:

Well, I go in for an echocardiogram on Friday. Until then, I guess I'll just have to let school and work keep me busy. :(

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'll be praying for you. Let us know how everything goes.

Even if it does turn out that you have a murmur or some other heart defect, many are treatable and many are conditions that allow you to live a normal, healthy life.

My sister was born with a murmur and has had no problems. My mom had mitro-valve; she had to take daily medication and was limited to what over-the-counter meds she could take, but she did just fine with it. :)

I'm sure it is scary to be going through this, though. We are all here for you!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I'm saying a prayer for you, lolakitty. It could be an innocent murmur or even anxiety. Whatever it is, it's best to know. Then you can deal with it. Wouldn't it be great if our bodies would just do their thing, and not let us know about it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Lolakitty, i see tons of people every day who are having their hearts stressed (Nuclear medicine..). Just remember, always listen to your body. At 22, lots of doctors will brush you off because you are young( I had a 28 year old today who went to the emergency room 5 times over the span of 2 months for Shortness of breath and pain in the chest..it wasn't until a young female intern ordered a CT that they found a Pulmonary Emoblism, which they can treat with medication). If you are educated and know the signs to look for, you should be just fine. Also, medications can fix all kinds of things and help people lead normal healthy lives! Don't sweat it. Think of it this way, if it is a heart murmur, you know what it is, you can deal with it and move on.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, hopefully it's nothing major=)

Amanda

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your thoughts and support. It means a lot to me. Friday is taking SO LONG to get here! :( I will let you all know the results of the EKG as soon as I get them back.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'll be thinking about you, too. Hopefully all this stress will be for nothing. Like you heard before, murmurs can be harmless. Regardless, try to think positive......sometimes that can make a big difference.

Hugs.....donna

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I was in the doctor's office for 3 hours yesterday and what did they tell me in the end? "We're going to need more tests." MORE TESTS?! After you hooked me up to all of those wires for 1/2 an hour, and took 2 chest x-rays, and took 2 viles of blood of out me (to check my thyroid)?!

So, now, I'm supposed to get a 24 Hour Holter monitor to measure my heartrate to see if it EVER goes down to a normal range. (It was up in the 100's again when they checked it). And I'm supposed to go in to have my valves and chambers photographed/examined. Ugh.

The doc said I have to take naps all the time because my body's working so hard to keep my heart rate up. It wears me out and I don't even notice it until I'm too tired to keep my eyes open.

I'm supposed to go next week to get these other tests done. I hope they can tell me something more then. In the mean time, I have to try to keep my stress levels down and not take any meds that will speed up my heart rate.

KEEP MY STRESS LEVELS DOWN?! :evil: Oh, sure. That's easy. :roll:

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Neither the echo cardiogram nor the Holter monitor is uncomfortable, anyway. It sounds as if the doctors are being very thorough. I'm praying for the best possible results! It just seems to take forever to get a result, but try to keep cool.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I had to do this before. I had an echocardiogram and had to wear the holter monitor. It wasn't too bad, but the sticky stuff from the holter monitor took days to come off even though I scrubbed my poor skin raw. It turns out that I have a very common heart defect. The valves don't close all the way and it causes some of the blood that had just passed through to slip backwards. I can't remember exactly what it's called, but the term "regurgitation" is part of the name. It won't affect my lifespan or my lifestyle, but it does get uncomfortable if I have too many caffeinated drinks. It feels like my heart is fluttering in my chest.

I'm hoping that it all comes out just fine for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts