Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I definitely want to start feeding Fozzy frankenprey, and get him off of the Friskies and Purina that he's on (ugh, I know how bad it is for him :( ) The trouble is, my parents are more than a little skeptical about the whole thing. They say that Fozzy is perfectly healthy with feeding him canned and dry food. I took him to the vet not too long ago, and found that he needed a dental cleaning, since his teeth are getting a little yellow. My father just said to brush his teeth, and he'll be all set. In my view, it's not natural for any get to get his teeth brushed, and I know he could have so much more energy and have superb overall health if I could just switch him. Does anyone have any ideas on how to help convince them?

·
Banned
952 Posts
Take a look at the following websites:

Feline Nutrition Education Society

Cat Info

Your Diabetic Cat

At least one of those sites should have some info you can use as ammunition... er, conversation starters with your parents. :D

Something to keep in mind: feeding raw takes commitment and time. You have to plan a menu, shop for that menu and then prepare that menu. It can also be messy, especially if your cat is one of those who likes to drag his food off to a quiet corner to eat. If you acknowledge these things from the very beginning and show that you are prepared to follow through with everything involved, it might help alleviate some of your parent's concerns.

Good luck, Silverlight!

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Also: http://www.rawfedcats.org/

Keep in mind, too, that brushing the teeth will not get rid of tartar. It can PREVENT tartar if the teeth are already clean (i.e., if you start when the cat is a kitten or just after a professional dental cleaning), but if there is tartar present, brushing won't do a thing. You also have to brush the teeth every day if it's going to do much. It's important to use toothpaste intended for cats (human toothpaste can be toxic) and unless you get the cat accustomed to this as a kitten, most cats do NOT take kindly to it. ;) Might tell your dad all that.

That said, if you're a kid and living at home, you're under their roof, so that makes it difficult. If you're old enough to move out and get your own place, that might be the best plan. If not, you may just have to wait until you ARE old enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts