Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 month old baby kitty is going to get neutered on Wednesday.....is there anything I should expect after he gets home? I wouldn't be surprised if I cry when I have to drop him off there! He has just lived such a spoiled life so far that he will not understand us leaving him somewhere overnight! He will think he's been abandoned, or been really bad! :(

Anyways, I am going to worry like crazy for the next couple of days...but I was just wondering what I need to know for when he gets home? What were all your experiences like?

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
After both my cats came back home, they were both very very sleepy and tired. Probably from the anesthesia, but Sugar looked so drowsy and sleepy and Twinkie slept a bit and got back to normal. Don't worry they are in good hands and plus I know you will miss them but right afterwards they will be back in your home and roaming around again. I tried not to have them jump around and everything but made comfy spots for them around the house on the floor. :lol:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Tip: Don't put kitty on any high places, and discourage jumping. They can easily fall because they're 'woozy'. If stitches are used on your boy(be sure to ask, because sometimes they do, sometimes they dont), make sure he doesn't take them off or lick them off to soon.

Get him a nice 'low' warm bed to which he crawl to and attack his favorite toy outta comfort(he probably wont use it though, lol)

But most importantly, give yourself a big HUG for neutering your pet!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I also felt very sad when I had to drop them off! Especially with Lilly because she is such a mommas girl! I just kept reminding myself they would be back home soon and they would be better off for what they went through. (I still felt sad though)
With boys it is easier than with girls. Jerry was still groggy when I brought him home that night. However by the next day he was pretty much back to normal.
Lilly just got fixed last Monday(the 3rd) She was very sleepy when I brought her home..(I did have them give her a shot for pain that lasts 10 hours after I brought her home) The vet recomended a heating pad for her to lay on to help with any pain. She was feeling pretty ok by the next day. We just tried not to pick her up. We still arent picking her up to much. Girl cats get a small incision in the belly..after surgery it swells up to kinda make a lump. Her belly is still a little swollen and its been a week later.
It is the best thing to do for our cats however, so it really is all worth it! I hope I could help you a little? Let me know how it goes ok. :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Listen to the vet and dont feed it until he tells you to....otherwise you will just end up with a big MESS! I learned the hard way. haha. Mine took it really well, and was great that they used the dissolving stitches. He was back to normal evilness in about 2 days.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm dropping my little furbaby off at the vet in about half an hour. I just fed him a yummy dinner, and I played with him to try to ensure he will be tired tonight and maybe sleep. I feel SO bad for him.....he's going to think we hate him! I'll keep you updated on how he's doing.Wish him luck!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Maleke.... I had my 2 kittens fixed 2mos ago when they were both 6mos old too. I felt the same exact way you did... that they would think I abandoned them, or was punishing them for something... I was so glad when it was all over! Mine are also very spoiled, and I felt so guilty leaving them (my vet required them to stay 24hrs). The day after the surgery, they told me I could pick them up anywhere between 8am-5pm... I was waiting at the door at 8am the next day to pick them up! LOL

My female kitten was a little sore for about 2 days, but my boy kitten acted like nothing ever happened. He went about his business as normal, never would have known he just had surgery.... I was amazed. My vet did an excellent job.. my female had a very tiny incision with disolving stitches that were on the inside of her belly so she couldn't lick them... and my boy didn't have any stitches at all. They gave them a shot of antibiotics that lasted in their system for 6 weeks, so I didn't even have to give them any meds at all when I got home. I had no problems with either one of them.

So hang in there, the worst will be over very soon... and your baby will be back home with you! :)

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I hated dropping my cats off at the vet.

The biggest positive is they usually come home really happy and affectionate, lol.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I called the vet at 5pm today to see how his surgery went. The vet said that everything went smoothly and he was just waking up. I feel SOOOO bad for him....he still has to stay there another night before I can go get him. First we drop him off and he's scared and alone for a night, then strangers surround him with needles and stuff, then he wakes up all groggy, doesn't know where he is and has to stay there another whole night by himself. It's SO bad....if I think about it too much I start crying so fast! Luckily I worked 10 hours today which helped keep my mind off him. I hope he never needs actual surgery! I can't handle him being away from home!! :(

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He's back, he's fine. He keeps trying to lick it but they put some stuff that tastes bad on it so he'll leave it alone. He will NOT leave my side though...he follows me EVERYWHERE.....he always has but he is super persistent about being held and cuddled now! I'm SO glad he's home!

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Awww, I'm so glad your kitty is fine! He forgives you for the surgery and he knows you did it for everyone's own good. Its a good sign he is very cuddly and following you around. :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts