Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on whether it would be a good idea to introduce a new cat (from a shelter) into my household - my current feline (Gilbert) is elderly and used to having the place to himself. He was a shelter cat himself, though, and came with another cat who alas died some years ago. Would it be possible to have a new cat in the household - and if so what age and sex? Thanks, Johntymouse

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't do it. Gilbert deserves to have peace and quiet in his golden years. (But I'm pretty sure most other members will tell you to go ahead.)

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
If you want another cat, I would go with one who's a little older (3+) and gets along well with other cats. I'd also adopt one who has a quiet, calm personality, and I'd adopt from a rescue that will allow you to return the new cat if things don't work out with Gilbert. Then do a slow introduction and see how things go. Sex might not matter, but to be on the safe side, I'd go with another male (neutered).

On the other hand, if you're looking for a more lively, active cat, or a younger one, then you should take Marie's advice and wait a few more years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want another cat, I would go with one who's a little older (3+) and gets along well with other cats. I'd also adopt one who has a quiet, calm personality, and I'd adopt from a rescue that will allow you to return the new cat if things don't work out with Gilbert. Then do a slow introduction and see how things go. Sex might not matter, but to be on the safe side, I'd go with another male (neutered).

On the other hand, if you're looking for a more lively, active cat, or a younger one, then you should take Marie's advice and wait a few more years.
Thanks for the advice, fellow cat people. I think, all things considered, that in the end it might be kinder to let Gilbert live out his last years in peace as solitary king of the household. I just can't bear to see the rescue cats in their little cages.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would have to agree with everyone that letting Gilbert have his own home for as long as he is around would be the best!:) I know that my Mum wont get another cat while our cat Boots is in the house because of him having been by him self now for 7 years, even though she would LOVE to add another....but we know that Boots will love us more for not!:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts