Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
I really like this! Very cool for the cats!
Lots of climbing places and shelves to hang out on! :p

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Oh, this is a very nice one! I wonder why people don't paint them to match. I guess it'd be too much maintenance to keep up with it. Really nice looking - lots of platforms!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Oh, this is a very nice one! I wonder why people don't paint them to match. I guess it'd be too much maintenance to keep up with it. Really nice looking - lots of platforms!
But the wood is just exposed to sun/bugs/water! As a museum studies person who particularly loves the preservation of wood, I can argue that there are not only products that would last for 5-10 years outdoors, but would help to ensure the enclosure stays structurally sound and secure (and wouldn't even change the look much if you really love the bare wood look...).
But I digress, it is still quite a nice place for the kitties to hang out!

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Wow I love those! Some of them are massive and so nice - but the first one looks totally do-able and the design would work with our house and our basement windows. Our basement is also a walk-out and finished, and it's where we spend most of our time so that would work great! I also like the idea it's on a platform/deck type flooring so the cats would be less likely to get fleas and ticks than if they were on dirt and grass.

Now let's see if my husband likes the idea...:wink

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
I love looking at cateos that people have done...
I've got a back covered patio that I keep thinking wouldn't be to hard to screen in completely...
For use by us and my cats, when we want to get some fresh air...
I could add some wide shelves for cats and maybe do some kind of climbing wall...
Anyway, it certainly helps looking at what others have done!! :p

·
Registered
115 Posts
Holy... cat.
tezster, i'm with you on that :)

Regarding the preservation of wood thing, i'm not sure how it's done in US, but here first you treat it with a special redish substance to keep bugs away, then an optional fire retardant substance, then a sort of resin, i think it's called varnish? Not sure what the english word for it is. That keeps the wood looking like wood, but perfectly protected against weather and bugs.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Siskin, that would be PT wood - or pressure treated wood. They use high pressure to force chemicals into the wood to make it resistant to pests and wet. I'd not want to use that if there was a chance the cats could claw it. The best wood to use would be cedar. Cedar is naturally resistant to bugs and water rot. It would last for 20 years without treatment. The more I look at that top one and all the knots the more I think they used cedar which would not need to be painted.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wow - these are amazing. Lucky cats!

Our cats go out in the backyard. (Yes, you can chastise me for that.) One of Hera's favorite spots is the "fort" section of the swingset. We call it her house. So I can definitely see the kitty appeal of these awesome areas.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Kneazles - I am hoping no one would chastise you for something like that, they are your cats and you are able to make your own decisions with them. I think you sound like you're very responsible and when they are outside it sounds like you keep a close eye on them, not just letting them out. But either way - good for you! I'm sure your cats have some fun. I just couldn't let myself do it, personally but I wouldn't ever judge you for your decision. :)

I want to do a catio so bad, one of my friends that is local has one and her cats love it. I can't really do it, I don't exactly have the right space to be able to do it, personally.. but maybe I should brainstorm, seems like people seem to get very creative here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So cool. I live in a condo so no chance of that. Lisa, who my parents have stolen from me at the moment lol, used to be an outdoor cat. You couldn't keep her inside if you tried. She's go nuts. But then again, she was a stray so I'm not really surprised. Since my parents have taken her in and she has gotten older, she hates the outdoors. You open up the patio door and she just looks outside, looks at you and then walks away like..uhm, don't even THINK about putting me outside lol.

These all look like so much fun. A cat rescue next to our cottage has one of these for the kitties to go outside. It's so awesome and good for them for not just having the cats in cages the whole day. I don't think I could make one of these though even if I had a backyard. My husband would be like, uhm...you can be a crazy cat lady and build these up around the house when you're retired...lol

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow - these are amazing. Lucky cats!

Our cats go out in the backyard. (Yes, you can chastise me for that.) One of Hera's favorite spots is the "fort" section of the swingset. We call it her house. So I can definitely see the kitty appeal of these awesome areas.
I take my own cat supervised out, in our courtyard. I dont know why anyone would chastise you for doing that.

But two former indoor/outdoors cats from my sister are not allowed out anymore since I moved. I thought they drive us crazy but my cateo seems to have made it OK to be indoors only now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts