Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby had to stop by the shelter to fix their camera. While he was doing that our friend and I checked out the animals. Half way down the aisle I saw her- a little red cocker. The closer we got the more her tail wagged!

Maggie is with us for the weekend to see if she fits in with the cats. Of course they are the first priority.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Look at that face!!!! I hope things work out for everyone. :grin:

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Hmm, she's doing fairly well with Miss Baby and Missy, but all of the others are hiding in the basement. Gracie came up and as they were smelling each other Maggie snapped a little which has me a little worried. We will see as it is only the first night.

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
You know the rules, go slow :grin:. It may take a little longer than one weekend.

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Ohhhh she's adorable. :luv
I hope this is her forever home! Dogs are so much more work though... Are you prepared to slosh thru the snow each day! :wink:

I love dogs to bits but after I take care of one, I go home and say thank god I dont have a dog... then I get tempted all over again when I meet a dog I like.

Do you know her back story of why she was at the shelter?

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maggie needs training, that is for sure. We've put up some barriers so she can't get out of the living room without our permission. This gives the cats free roam around the house and keeps Maggie contained.

Patience Grasshopper :wink:

·
Registered
804 Posts
People also give up/throw out very expensive animals. Not that I'm saying that makes them any more valuable than mixed-breeds (I prefer the mixes), but how can they afford to just throw money around like that? People should get a shelter pet and give the rest of the money they would have spent to the shelter, or not get an animal at all if they're just going to toss them out!!

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
You don't know the reasons behind people having to give up their animals. Sometimes, it's the best thing for the pet, and most of the time, it's probably heartbreaking for the owners. I wouldn't have my girls if it wasn't for rescues and rehoming. And I've also rehomed cats myself.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I can agree that there are valid reasons for giving pets up, such as losing a job, serious health problems etc. and I would not have 1 of my three babies if someone had not given him up, but the sad fact is that many pets are given up for selfish reasons. People don't want to take the time to deal with them, they move, they have a kid and decide they no longer want the animal, or the animal has a problem (like litterbox issues etc). Good pet owners are heartbroken if they must give up a pet, but many people see them as possessions and "just an animal" and don't care. Sometimes my frustration with the latter type of people makes me make overly-broad statements, but I'm also sure you can see what kind of people I was intending to talk about.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maggie is settling in a little bit. She was content to lay in the backyard as we did yardwork yesterday.

We crated Maggie last night which worked well as slept all night. Gracie and Bob felt comfortable enough to come up and sleep with us in the bed. We are left with Molly and Simba still hiding in the basement.

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
She looks so cute and comfy! :) I'm sure Molly and Simba will come around in time... some cats just take longer to warm up to other cats.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Congrats, Leazie! I hope this works out. Maggie is too cute for words (and I can hardly be called a dog person, since I've never had one).

Keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out! Maybe Molly and Simba will smell the dog on the other cats when they make visits down to the basement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts