Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my wife and I have recently got a cat from a cat's home (about 4 weeks ago) and although the cat was at first very nervous seems to be warming to us. She is 5 years old and we don't know too much about her history except that she was made to go outside for long periods and now is scared of going out (we keep her as a house cat and are away from her for the working day). Recently she has developed a bad habit of biting (although very slightly and not drawing blood) - she tentatively allows us to stroke her then suddently changes her mind and turns to bite! Also, she had just got used to sitting on our laps, but seems to have gone off that now...she is playing now though (didnt used to want to do that at all initially)
Just wondered if anyone had any advise - she seems to have a mixture of behaviour patterns I have read on the forum!
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi DJB

I dont really have much in the way of advice but I do have a shared experience.

I had a rescue cat - she had a very short temper as she had been in and out of a number of homes and then returned to the shelter as people didn't warm to her. She too was extremely nervous when I got her and hid under the bed for about 3 days! Although she was a bit grumpy now and again she was a character in herself and I wouldn't have changed her for the world. I just got used to the fact that if she wanted attention she would come to me, if I went to her she would only ever allow about 2 strokes before you came away with another scratch or bite. She sometimes came to sit on peoples laps but would never allow anyone to pick her up.

I think it was all about gaining trust, especially if you dont know her background. I had Polly for about 5 years before she passed away at the age of 15 but I'll always remember her she was such a character and I loved her so so much.

I think the best plan is just to see how she gets on, 4 weeks is still quite new and you've years and years ahead of you, she sounds fine and like she settling in slowly, probably just a bit nervous but she'll come round.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Sounds like a trust issue and maybe some over stimulation. If she was made to stay long hours outside , then put in a shelter, she probably is not used to attention. I would just (pretend to) ignore her for a bit, try to be in the same room with her, read, watch tv, talk out loud around her. When she hops up on your lap don't pet her, maybe talk to her softly as long as she is relaxed and ignore if she tenses up. after she gets used to sitting on you without running just rest a hand on her, then work up to a few strokes with more hand resting on her. after a time the petting sessions will get longer and longer til she accepts it. Just go at her pace and hopefully you will get a good lap cat.

BTW welcome to the forums!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi DJB

.I think it was all about gaining trust, especially if you dont know her background. ..

Sounds like a trust issue and maybe some over stimulation.

Peaksy,
and Botany said what I was thinking. All of our cats have been kittens that we got (years ago), abandoned kittens 16-18 yrs ago, and Kermit (10yrs ago) was born in our house. So each cat had the advantage of seeing a kitten and watching it grow...Never a problem of biting or scratching except if we crossed over the line some way.

Then we took in a stray female who was about a year old...it took time for her to adjust and we just let things get worked out. But, she had her episodes of being nice and then a bite or scratch. then she had an intestinal problem that required a vet to 'unblock' her with enemas.....After that her tail area was a no touch there thing....but with time any biting or scratching stopped. In play she might revert but it was more to warn..."ok, I'm done now" or "you're getting rough" We have had her about a year now and we let her decide what she wants as far as affection and that has dramatically increased as she trusts us more...But again, she decides.

But I think most of all, she just needed her time and had to decide the trust issue herself. She did pick our house to hang around. We doubt she would have survived the winter on her own so we were going to foster her but called the rescue place and said..."she has a home now."

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
ditto

ditto what everyone else said.

our Angel is a bit of a biter herself. we adopted her a little over 2 months ago and i'd say it took her a good 4 weeks minimum to trust us enough to stop the "serious" biting thing. we figure it may be because she had been declawed a long time ago and biting was the way she found worked best to warn others that she was irritated. she gave both me and my husband a good chomp very early on when we brushed her too long once, but we both learned quickly to stop smothering her with attention and stop brushing her when she told us to! so now we all have a very good understanding relationship. :crazy

she still uses her mouth to warn us when she's had enough, but now it's just a funny little "fake bite" - she snaps at the air but never seriously goes for our hand or anything. we love her and we're sure she loves us now, too, because she purrs like crazy and coos like a pigeon when she's really happy.

believe me, once you gain the trust of a kitty like that it's the most rewarding feeling in the world.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.