Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the economy tanked a no kill cat shelter in Tucson fell on hard times. A group of cat lovers took it over and are doing a fantastic job! This is a sweet video that a local photographer made. I thought youd all enjoy it.

PAWSitively Cats - YouTube

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my area all the cat rescues are no cage. Its a good and bad thing. It works if the shelter isnt over crowded.

·
Registered
352 Posts
That's nice. There's an open no kill shelter in or near Destin, FL too. A temperate climate helps and as you said, low numbers. Their limit is 100 cats. Somehow all those cats, house, stray and feral, get along.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lyle one of my favorite places is the Destin area! I would go stay in Sea Side frequently. Its good to hear they have a no kill cageless cat shelter there!

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Our shelter is a no-kill but there are cages.... right now the shelter is full and there is a waiting list for animals to be dropped off! It's a sad sight...

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What a wonderful place!!!! They've been at it for 20 years! Hats off to them. It is heart warming to read their stories. Also they mentioned Indyferals. They are a well respected TNR group! Indianapolis has a lot of positive things going on for cats!

Yes it is common for No Kill Shelters to provide what ever medical a cat needs. If your working with the No Kill equation then yes full medical is part of the equation.

Heres a short video Ive posted before that presents what it is all about to be no kill. There are presently around 63 no kill
cities in the US.

We Are (the No Kill Movement) (2011) - YouTube

·
Registered
978 Posts
We are no-kill too and our cats aren't usually caged. We have a big cat room full of toys and furniture that they have free range in. There are exceptions though. We keep ill cats in cages in a medical hold room and we usually keep nursing cats in large cages until their kittens are 5-6 weeks old. We let the nursing cats out daily for exercise though.

Cats and cages just do not go well. They make HUGE messes.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've got a Bro-n-law who lives near Destin. When I'm down there I go the Destin shelter once or twice a week and hang out with the cats. It's a first class privately run shelter, but I must say that it's easier if the shelter limits the number of cats they take in to what they know they can handle. In Destin's case many of the cats are from Military families who can't take them when they are reassigned. It's sad all the way around, but most are adoptable and they have a good rep.
Mitts: On another subject, two guys I used to work with retired to Tucson and a mandolin player who I know who plays contra dances with the Privy Tippers. Every winter I say I'm going down, but I never get further than the Texas coast. West Texas scares me and having lived most of my life "up north", I'm no big fan of the color brown. :)

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Pawsitivly cats looks like it it doing a wonderful job. Glad to hear they take on FIV + and FELV+ also. It looks like a very clean place and I know first hand how difficult it is to keep a no-kill shelter with free roaming cats clean!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts