Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
As far as the size change, yes. Dry foods tend to have more carbohydrates, which cats can't digest. So when you feed them wet food(especially grain-free) or raw, they are digesting more of what they consume and their poop is smaller. The color change i'm not sure about. :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
smaller poop less often is normal in cats with lower carbs :) green poop can indicate a higher iron intake then they are used to, or a mild gastro upset. either which can occur when switching raw foods into the diet. the poo color should even out, most cats adjust fairly quickly to the new foods. Just keep an eye on the poo. it should even out to small pellets, somewhat chalky in color that crumbles easily.

Funny how we like to see good poo on this forum huh?:razz:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ew really? Irma just had a poop accident in the bathroom (we put her there to eat so the others won't steal her food & my son accidentally forgot to let her back out when she was done) & she did the most vile BM I ever saw (or smelled). It was black & sticky & smelled like death. She eats a blend of wet catfood & cut-up raw chicken breasts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know about taffy poo, but glad its not coffee grounds poo.
I just looked it up (should have done this in the first place) and this is what I found (tar is perhaps a better destruction than black taffy LOL):

Feces that are dark or look like tar can indicate bleeding in the stomach or high up in the intestines. The blood is digested before it’s passed, which is why it takes on such a dark color.
My dog passed a stool that met this description after eating a entire groundhog....I'm guessing it's a response to eating raw meat if the pet isn't used to it, which would make sense.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all. Thought I'd join in on the poo chatter. My Bella was on Purina one kitten when I got her. I have since switched her to the Innova kitten dry kibble with the occasional (2-3 times per week) wellness all life stages wet. Her poo is now larger, softer, and smellier than with the purina one, which is the opposite to what I expected to happen. She had 1 BM last night and since I was running late for class, I didn't scoop it this morning. She then had another while I was away and the smell just about knocked me off my feet when I got home. Any thoughts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.