Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this rant isn't really about the cats, but about the owners trying to "rehome" them.

I tend to check the craigslist pets section for cats every now and then because I recently discovered that the "stray" I had been trying to take in actually belonged to the fellow in the condo across from me. Apparently this guy decided not to put a collar on his cat, or even take it to the vet, as the cat clearly had some health issues. When he moved out, he took the cat with him.

Anyway, so I am halfway searching for a replacement feline companion on craigslist. The other day I came across an ad that seemed perfect. A young female cat had been rescued from abandonment by a couple who had taken her in and nursed her back to health. The cat was reportedly very sweet and easy to handle. Seemed like a good match for a novice cat owner like me. So I made arrangements to check out this cat.

First of all, the cat was either terrified of me or completely anti-social. It wouldn't come near me, wouldn't even sniff me to see if I was friend or foe, and when the owner tried to pick it up and introduce the cat to me, it did everything in its power to get away. Okay, so cats are funny like that. Fine. But don't expect to easily rehome a cat that has already decided that it's happy with its current owners.

Secondly, the story about the cat's origins and health kept "evolving." First, it was a stray who was in good health. Then, it was a stray who appeared to be in good health, but who hadn't actually seen a vet yet. Then it was revealed to me that a neighbor had originally owned it, but had let it out because it was in heat and was probably spraying all over the house because it hadn't been spayed. Luckily I happened to speak with each member of the couple separately, as they hadn't gotten their story straight, and so each revealed different things about the cat. Given the way that their apartment smelled, I would imagine that the cat was having issues in their place too, and they were trying to pass the cat along like a hot potato, hoping that someone would eventually spay it.

I understand that people feel guilty about taking a cat to animal control, where it will likely be put down. But it seems a bit ridiculous to try to "trick" someone else into taking the cat to make its undisclosed issues their problem.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Good thing you talked to each person separate! I've heard so many horror stories about people thinking they're getting a sweet, awesome cat and end up getting a cat that is in dire need of a vet and either timid or aggressive. I wish some people would just be honest upfront. Some people can care for these poor cats, but most people cannot. Wouldn't they want a suitable home for the cat instead of giving it to someone who may not be able to care for it properly?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ack! How frustrating! I remember when we got Ellie we got her off Craigslist. We showed up to a 4 week old kitten that was covered in fleas and the woman was going to either give her to us or someone else ( we took her so we'd at least we'd know she was taken care of). 8 weeks old my behind, we had to bottle feed her for weeks. I don't know why they try to lie on there.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ugh, reminds me of the horror stories of horse selling. (Fun fact; you should always show up about a hour early when looking at a horse to prevent the person from having a chance to slip sedatives to the animal, so you don't buy what you think is a calm horse and end up with a un-rideable horse.)

But that definitely is awful. It's a shame that people just lie like that, and especially annoying when you take time out of your schedule to go and see this cat for a complete bust because they weren't honest. I also always wonder at the intelligence of these people- do they think that their lies of how wonderful the cat is isn't going to be found out when the cat screeches like a banshee and claws the nearest hand? How stupid do they think people are? *boggles*

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know why they try to lie on there.

I honestly think that they don't really care about the cat, they just care about their feelings of guilt if they're the ones who have it put down. If I take the cat, it starts to spray all over my place, it views me as its enemy and won't come near me, and I end up taking it to animal control, then, in their minds, I'm the one who's responsible for its death, not them.

I also always wonder at the intelligence of these people- do they think that their lies of how wonderful the cat is isn't going to be found out when the cat screeches like a banshee and claws the nearest hand? How stupid do they think people are?

Yeah, even worse than the lies and the time I spent there was the feeling that they were insulting my intelligence. After every attempt to introduce the cat to me failed, they told me that the cat "doesn't feel safe" and that I should simply admire it from afar and that I'd soon see that I liked it. No, not really. "It just has to get used to you." Well, we'll never find out, will we?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah, even worse than the lies and the time I spent there was the feeling that they were insulting my intelligence. After every attempt to introduce the cat to me failed, they told me that the cat "doesn't feel safe" and that I should simply admire it from afar and that I'd soon see that I liked it. No, not really. "It just has to get used to you." Well, we'll never find out, will we?
You sound familiar... oh, right. Myself. :p A couple times when someone has been trying to sell me something, I have always been more insulted when they take my intelligence for granted rather than the wasted time and everything else. :lol:

I wish I was a little less nice so I could call them out on it, but sadly I use the lines I thought up when ranting to my friends about it instead.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
A lot of people trying to unload cats on Craigslist aren't just liars, but they are VERY irresponsible. The woman I got Sasha from was bragging that this was her 32nd litter...WHAT? And no one thought of getting these poor cats fixed? Idiots!!!

The poor thing was as skinny as they come and ridden with fleas. Not anymore...now he is a bonafide spoiled housecat ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I was a little less nice so I could call them out on it, but sadly I use the lines I thought up when ranting to my friends about it instead.
LOL. I'm sort of like George Costanza on that episode of Seinfeld where George's coworker riffed on him during a meeting and he sat their frustrated as everyone laughed because he couldn't think of a comeback. He spent the whole episode devising the perfect comeback, and then when he finally used it on the coworker, the coworker simply one upped him again and George once again was left speechless as everyone laughed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A lot of people trying to unload cats on Craigslist aren't just liars, but they are VERY irresponsible. The woman I got Sasha from was bragging that this was her 32nd litter...WHAT? And no one thought of getting these poor cats fixed? Idiots!!!

The poor thing was as skinny as they come and ridden with fleas. Not anymore...now he is a bonafide spoiled housecat ;)
Yeah, I see a lot of that too. There was one ad where, I kid you not, the OP said that she was on her third or fourth litter and every time she tried to get the cat spayed it would disappear and come back pregnant. Sounds like someone wasn't trying too hard.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sounds like when I got Muffin....I told a co worker who I didn't know very well that I "might" take her cat she was trying to get rid of, supposedly her family cat that she'd had forever but couldn't keep in her apartment for some reason....she called me a couple of days after we'd talked, crying, and asked me could she bring the cat over because her roommates were abusing it. I'm a sucker so I said yes. What she dropped off was the most completely terrified cat I've ever seen, fur falling out in patches, and very very skinny. The first vet visit alone was $600.

I found out later that Muffin was one of two semi feral kittens this girl had found on her college campus. I wish she had just told me that to begin with. Turned out fine though, Muffin is a well adjusted 5 year old cat, completely bomb proof, go with the flow kind of cat, total opposite of how she was that first day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts