Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this little suprise while vacuuming. :lol: It's the AZ bark scorpion. It still creeps me out so I had to put it in a plastic bag.

See how well they blend in to neutral colors?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This species is native to the Sonoran Desert. It is mainly a problem in AZ, though it has been found in a couple other areas in the Southwest. It's the most venomous species in the the U.S. It is a lot stronger than other species in North America . Most other species are harmless unless you are allergic to the venom. A sting from the bark is nasty. They get in houses with ease. They crawl through the smallest of cracks and in the tiny open areas in the window sill tracks.

·
Registered
755 Posts
They are here in Florida too. I remember being in the bathtub WITH one once.... I was about 12 and didnt know what it was and GRABBED it and threw it out of the tub. When it hit the floor I realized what it was and screamed for my mom. Must have come up through the drain. Creepy though...

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Ok......all of a sudden I'm feeling really foolish for whining about my harmless little beetles in the house this winter! :oops:

Seriously, how do people live with critters like that, and not to mention rattle snakes!

I was talking to friend of mine who lives in TX a while back, and during a phone conversation he was telling me how he sometimes carries a pistol with him because of all the rattlers in his area. 8O Yeesh.........I had a non-poisonous snake take a short cut through one of my fences one day, and that gave me the willies! :yikes

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have brown recluses in Canada? I thought they were mainly confined to the midwest, South central, and South Eastern U.S. Luckily we don't have them here in AZ. We do have a couple other recluse species, the AZ Brown spider and the Desert Recluse. We have plenty of black widows. This spring, my brother foud his indoor cat with a black widow on two occassions. She was lucky not to be bit. We had a big hairy tarantula hanging out in our kitchen one evening. I have no idea how something that big got in the house! It was pretty shocking to find it! Some people have problems with Western Diamondbacks ending up in their yards but we haven't had that happen. We did have a bobcat in one of the neighborhoods in our area this spring. Of course we get coyotes on our street, sometimes in broad daylight when they are really hungry. Javelinas go in peoples yards as well. What kind of wildlife and creepy crawlies does everyone else experience?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
CuteNCraze86 said:
They are here in Florida too. I remember being in the bathtub WITH one once.... I was about 12 and didnt know what it was and GRABBED it and threw it out of the tub. When it hit the floor I realized what it was and screamed for my mom. Must have come up through the drain. Creepy though...
Oh my gosh!!! 8O 8O 8O 8O
That is terrible!!!!

If I ever see a Scorpion in my house that'd be the end of me, I would seriously have a heart attack!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
* Fever
* Chills
* Sweating
* Nausea
* Vomiting
* Joint Pain
* Jaundice
* Blood in urine
* Seizures
* Coma
* Kidney Failure
* Hemolysis (breaking down of red blood cells).
8O

I bet I'd still get accused of having "man 'flu".

·
Registered
106 Posts
My roomie got bit by a brown recluse once... it was NOT fun having to slice his arm with a pocket knife to get into the dead tissue to clean it.
(We were at work and he was in serious pain--we used to be dishwashers at IHOP, so I wasn't about to take any chances. Hospital the next morning.)

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Ok that is scary, freaky, and gross! 8O

Cait, I am scared to death of Black Windows...Not so much as Recluses but I know their dangerous if left untreated. 8O

·
Banned
804 Posts
yeah we have lots of brown recluses here. Nate works around them alot when hes working in the underground tunnels under the airport doing the plumbing...

and yes we haveblack widows too...we get epidemics of hatches once in awhile where they can put out warnings to avoid certain areas

I got bit by a female brown recluse once..it was in my basement and i stepped on it, luckily i think i killed it by the accidental stepping before it could get me good...the right side of my body was numb for 3 hours...

was not fun, Mom was watching the bight on my heel all night to see if it got worse...luckily i was getting better the next morning, i think i was 14ish

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
In northern California all we had were rattlesnakes and black widows, and I think here in the high desert all we have are rattlesnakes. There's coral snakes somewhere, but I think they're more southern. Black widows aren't exactly the most deadly of bugs. I've only seen a few rattlers in my life. One went across my foot :lol: I don't think any of our more northern scorpions are even poisonous. There are good things about living up north! I hear those cottonmouths & brown recluses sneak in everywhere.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts