Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my girlfriend took in a stray that had birthed three beautiful kittens on our doorstep about a month ago. Recently, the kittens have begun their curiosity stage, and have been running around like crazy (also running dangerously close to your feet). This sunday, one of the kittens, who we noted for being smart and adventerous, played a little too close to my girlfriend's feet and was stepped on. I arrived 5 mintues later ,after she frantically called me, to see the kitten laying on it's side, with blood comming from his nose, but still breathing. I picked him up, and he arched back a little (I thought his back was broken), but that was all he did. We had to wait through the night, because there were no vet. emergency services responding to our calls. :( . First thing in the morning, we took our still, breathing kitten to the vet, with the expectation that he would have to be euthanised. The veternarian instead told us that, after he checked out the kitten, that there were no internal or skeletle injuries. But the kitten has brain damage.

He told us to nurse him, and stimulate him for a week, and to come back in a week. He said we'de know in a week if he'll recover or not.

For the past two days, we have been nursing him. He cannot move his limbs, or focus (straighten) his eyes, but he does breath, swallow, open his eye lids a bit, and occasionally will let out a little meow. He goes to the bathroom, and there is no blood present. He streches a bit when ever he wakes up, and twitches his head when you blow on his ears.

Does anyone have any advice, or have heard of any similair stories? The vet says kittens can recover from this sort of thing if its not to bad. Lets hope so.

·
Registered
366 Posts
How good of you to take in a stray and her kittens - so sad to hear what happened though! I'm sure it must have been really frightening.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice - it sounds like you are doing everything you can for the little one. I would guess that if you are seeing improvements - even little ones - that is a good sign.
Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Bimba when she was about 2 months. Not exactly the same, she fell from a quite high place… She was bleeding from her nose, not moving, just breathing. I think I never cried so much before… thinking about it still hurts, although she’s one year old and a beautiful mommy now.
This happened at about 1 pm, but fortunately in the evening she started walking again, very slowly, and the next morning she was completely normal, running, eating.
I guess we were very lucky.
I hope you will see improvements in your kitty too, I am sure you’re doing your best.
Please keep us informed, I cross fingers…

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, he's making improvements. He's able to open his eyes and focus them completely, he meows a little more, and he can kinda move his front and back legs, and sucks on his nursing bottle. Unfortunatly, he's had a few seizures, but he's still improving rapidly. We will take him to the vet and see what he says.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm so glad to hear that you're seeing improvements and that he is eating. I think that is all a good sign. The seizures are worrisome - have you spoken with your vet about that?

My thoughts are with you and your little kitty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts