Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I found a bad sore on my cat. It seemed open and awful, so I took him to the Animal ER. They said it was an abscess, cleaned it, and gave him some pain meds and antibiotics. They said to take him to the regular vet in the morning and have the dead skin cut off.

The vet this morning said it was healing well, and that surgery probably wasn't needed. Ok, what a relief. But just now (now that all the vets are closed) I found another sore! It's in a different place, on the inside of his back leg. No one must have seen it before, even through 2 vets. There isn't fur, it's all red, and it looks like there's a bump. Is it another abscess, just not open? Could it be something else? What should I do? I'd just take him back to the ER, but we already paid $200, if it's nothing bad I can't afford that again, though I'll do anything needed for our little buddy.

Thing is, I can't understand why he had one in the first place, let alone two. He is indoor only. How could he have gotten so hurt? Could this mean he has some other underlying illness?

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
This is a bit strange since he's an indoor cat, unless you have other animals that could have inflicted a bite or scratch that broke the skin? Do you have another cat or ferret or dog? I would keep a close eye on the bump and if it's still there or enlarging and getting worse by Monday then you should have your vet have a look. If the bump pops and pus/fluid comes out it is likely an abscess. Bathe it a few times a day with salt water solution. This will keep the opening draining and not close up and trap pus underneath. Hope this helps.
How to Make a Saline Solution | eHow.com

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just an opinion based on my experience with Squiggy, but ( if it is an abcess) it could have gone unnoticed by everyone including a vet and ( in Squiggy's case) festering for several days at least.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, we don't have other pets. It's so weird. Is it better to use salt water or hydrogen peroxide? So far that's what I've been using.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Any scratch, scrape or open area on the skin is a possible point of entry for bacteria. Normal skin has bacteria always has bacteria on it - mine does, yours does, everybodys.

Since it has only been 24 hours since he started antibiotics, it is too early to know if the antibiotics will be effective. If your buddy will let you, hold a warm water washcloth against the new bump. The warmth increases blood flow to the area, which can help the possible abcess come to a head and to get more of the antibiotic to the area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'll use the other. Thanks. And I have been trying to hold a warm washcloth against it, too. He's pretty good about it. It may make it feel better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update: Shadow is doing better. The vet says the abscess is healing well, and he thought the other sore was just a really bad scrape/bruise. He told me to keep doing what I've been doing (things from here).

Shadow is back to his old tricks (opening doors and getting the "cone of shame" off his head) so I think he's feeling better, too. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Thanks for the update, glad to hear he's feeling better and that things are progressing....the antibiotics should help clear up the abscess within a week or so, I would expect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts