Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can make a recommendation.
Background: Kiwi came to us an orphan around 2 weeks old. She's grown to a beautiful healthy, although small, 10 month old. In July Kiwi gave birth, at the ripe old age of 7 months to a litter of 4 kittens. The kittens have done really well and between Kiwi and I we're muddling through learning to raise kittens.
The one thing I missed is when the kittens began to elimate without Kiwi's help. They began peeing in the corner of the nesting box. We were able to remedy this with all but one kitten, Doe. Doe refuses to step into litter and I'm convinced it's a texture issue. She loves the box but will only use it, if I fill it with a doggy pee pad, newspaper or towel. We've tried 3 different commerial brands, corn based litter, pine pellets, pine shavings and even dirt (which btw- offered a little more success) but she will always choose the carpet or a pee pad over any other option.
Can anyone make a suggestion? The family that was planning to adopt her has changed their mind because of this, which breaks my heart. She has, by far, the best temperament of all of the kittens.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm wondering if you'd be able to train Doe by maybe laying some newspaper over some fine pellets for a while? She still feels/smells the newspaper so she may use it?

Then... after some time... do the same thing but with only HALF the area of the box bottom. So, you'd fill the entire bottom with fine pellets of some sort...but lay the newspaper over only HALF the area.

Then 1/4 of the area...

Then perhaps you'll notice her using the pellets as well as the newspaper?

Then you'll have perhaps conditioned her feet to realize that the pellets are okay to use?

Just an idea. :)

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Maybe some shredded newspaper at one end of the litter box. Make sure there a piece of soiled towel or newspaper in the it with her scent on it. Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
could you try a clay litter? One of my kittens stopped using feline pine. All the accidents on my carpet stopped once I switched to a clay litter (dr. elseys).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Purple,
I have tried 3 commerical clay litters; Fresh step, Tidy cat and a store brand that was unscented. I will try to find the Dr Elsey's brand.

Hi Catlover,
Yes we are currently using the newspaper option and she loves it. It's just pretty smelly if I'm gone and it sits, unchanged for more than 30 minutes or so... and I'm afraid, if I tell a prospective 'new home' that she only uses newspaper or puppy pads they might not want be willing to adopt her.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try Cat-attract! It has an ultra fine texture and herbs that help entice kitties. A lot of people have had great experiences with it! (not me of course... my cat Kiowa [as seen in avatar] alwaysalwaysalways poops NEXT to the box.)

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Lsdvn, perhaps if you mix in very little litter underneath the paper, and keep adding a little more litter mixed in with the paper each time, it might convert her to litter alone. Worth a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts