Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little background, I've been working at a hotel for 5 months now benieth and with corrupt employees.

What I'm about to share, is really only a small portion of what myself and the other employee's have to endure every day. Besides the issues with my supervisor, there is a lot of stuff they could get in trouble with Osha about (heavy fines, or shut down the hotel). At this point, for this time, I have decided not to contact Osha... yet!

Here's part of the story.

Today I finally had it with my work place, I couldn’t keep my mouth shut any longer, it has all been eating at me for months and it’s not right for myself or any other person to endure anymore.

I came down to report to Kat (supervisor) a couple of problems with our equipment, much like I am suppose to. And she completely FLIPPED on me, like always, acting as if I was personally attacking her, swearing and yelling to high heaven. I told her that there was really no reason to be swearing, and of course that upset her even further. I was getting tired of her not helping to fix the situation so I finally just blurted out “Kat, where’s your Osha book?” And she just stared at me wide eyed in disbelieve of what I said. She replied with “Get back to #*%#$^ work Angel” and then she walked outside.

I walked back to my hallway to try and finish cleaning, but I just couldn’t do it, I wound up crying and calling my fiance on the room phone and telling him to convince me NOT to quit.

At any rate I finally went down and told the manager on duty what happened today and a little about the problem in general which is only the tip of the iceberg. He took my name and number, I spoke with Thierry (owner of the building) briefly on the phone, and he excused me for today as I had requested and said that we will speak privately about this tomorrow (he was in PA).

So I’m trying to sneak out to my car with out Kat seeing me, driving past the office door and she comes running out. She gets about 3 feet to my car and I say “Just stop right there.”

Kat looks at me with a smirk on her face and says “So, are you suspended?”

I said “No.”

She said “Did you talk to Thierry”

I said “Yes a little.”

Now Kat is not mentally sound so she jumps around a bit, next she said “ So, you just decided to leave for the day?”

I replied with “No, Thierry and I agreed to excuse me.”

Of course she turned this around to make me look like a bad worker and said “Oh! I see, so you just didn’t want to work on A up (a hallway) today, so you felt like leaving… I get it!”

She looked at me again, with a smile on her face and said “You know, you can quit any time you want to. There are 12 people against you here.”

I just looked at her and calmly said “It will all end soon Kat.” And drove away.

I am returning to work tomorrow, as I am scheduled to, and I am a dedicated worker, this is my job and I will do it, regardless of Kat.

Now… I know there are 4 women who are very angry at me about this, and I would not put it past them to do me bodily harm, and they all work at the hotel and all weight a good 200+ pounds of fat.

I just hope, that the other workers if approached about this will stand up for it, not stand up for me, but to stand up for the same crud they have been put through, for themselves!

I am pretty sure that Kat will find something to fire me over, very soon. I'm not sure that I can safely go to work tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
i think you should report these guys, i work for a big company they are greedy and dont care about thier employees, reguardless of what they say. In the end we got enviromental health in, and like the place you are talking about they can also shut you down on the spot. Like you me and the lass who did this got loads of crap from others. Dont stand up for it, none should have to they are abviously breaking the law, if you feel your job is in threat its an even better reason to report these f$%£*""s. If they had any commen sence they will realise that if they sack up they will be up S%$t creek, they tried it with us, and we asked them to, i know the union would have loved it, so would i!

No one should ever have to put up with bad working conditions, and that includes you, the other women obvioulsy do not care about safety. Report them, i know so much how it feels to work in such conditions, you get home and want to cry, the next day there is nothing to drive you to get up and go to work, just to get a load of abuse and unfit working conditions, none of us should have ot suffer this, report them!

i am sorry you have to go through this :(

·
Banned
410 Posts
It is amazing how some companies can treat their employees with so much respect and gratitude, and others treat employees poorly and with no respect at all.

I work for a huge company--they are located worldwide. This company is always looking for a way to make employees work faster, be more productive, and all of that crap. I have no problem with that--as long as they compensate when they start expecting more. They tell us how much money we are saving them, but yet the pay isn't all that great--considering the type of work that I do. I do make well above minimum wage--and I appreciate that, but I think minimum wage is a joke anyways. Who could live off of that little bit of money? We don't have many men at work--because they can't support a family on that salary--even if it is higher than minimum wage.

As far as our local management is concerned....they all stick up for each other. For example, one of the bosses was accused of sexual harrassment by 2 different women and nothing was done about it. I think it should have been dealt with by the highest up in the company--not locally where they are all "buddies".

If you don't have any support or back-up, then in my opinion, you should forget it. I don't know if it is possible to fight and win against people like that. Chances are that your building owner will side with the supervisor because she is harder to replace than you would be. If you call OSHA, that would be much better--at least you'll have someone on your side. I guess what I am wondering is why these other employees are mad at you--shouldn't they also be upset about the equipment being a safety-hazard? Atleast at the crap-hole that I work at, the employees all stand behind one another! :lol:

A good piece of advice....Go To College!!! That's what I am doing--it's the only way out of minimum wage and crappy work!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I work for the nations or worlds largest hotel chain (something like that.) So yes it IS a big company.

Kat tries to make us work harder and faster (we work our little bums off, litterally every day.) Her approach is to yell and swear at us some more, she gets so upset she actually starts to foam up with spit at the corners of her mouth. She insults and degrades employee's infront of everyone else, all the time, and this is suppose to motovate us.

I only make about $6.00 an hour after taxes, and only about 20 hours a week. This job is NOT worth the punishment.

As far as my co-workers go, I'm not so sure on that, yes there are probably 4 people I can think of right now whom are very angry at me, the others probably couldn't care less, or secretly they are cheering for what I'm about to do inside their heads.
I wouldn't doubt for these people to verbally back me up, or to do much of anything. Anyone except for her family who speaks up to cat gets fired, or they get to upset and they quit. I have seen it happen soo many times in just the 5 months I have been there.
However, Kat doesn't know that a lot of people don't like her there, she doesn't know the things they say about her behind her back EVERY day.

I would love to go back to college, but I just got done paying off the $3000 I owed for 5 months worth. I do not have the time nor money to go to school again right now.

I think tomorrow if the owner of the hotel does not meet my expectations for actions he will take against Kat, some of the other bad employee's and our old hazardous equipment. Then yes, I will be calling Osha.

[/list]

·
Banned
410 Posts
You apparently have much more patience than I do. I can't and won't put up with someone yelling in my face or degrading me. I would've done punched her in the face and shut that huge pie-hole for her. Especially for what you are making per hour! I make alot more than that, and still wouldn't put up with that treatment. The stress that she is causing is not worth it.

I am using student loans to pay for school as well. I only work part-time, so I get a little in grant money. I hate the thought of having a huge loan hanging over my head, but I will be making way better money, so it'll be easier to pay back. I know that if I don't do this for myself, then I will have to put up with bad jobs, bad pay, and being miserable. I want to go to work and do something that I enjoy--that alone makes paying back student loans well worth it. Just think, you could be a vet--something you'd be good at and enjoy as well! :D (Not to mention that it sounds like there are some pretty bad ones out there!)

I hope you get the answer that you are hoping for, tomorrow. If not, go above his head if you can--OSHA or a corporate office--whatever it takes. Obviously this lady doesn't deserve or even know how to do her job--maybe you should get a pocket size tape recorder so you can have proof of her behavior when you talk to the owner.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually DO have a mini tape recorder, and I have considered bringing it in sooo many times. But believe me, almost every conversation we have had, or I have over heard her having, is imprinted into my memory already, I can and have directly quoted her words from months ago.

I want to be a zoologist actually, amoung many other things, but that's about 8 years of schooling. =p

·
Registered
82 Posts
taping someone without thier knowledge is against the law. I know what you are going through, been there. You have 2 options: quit or call OSHA. Calling OSHA prob won't do anything, and your employers will find a way to make you quit or make up an excuse to fire you. One good thing: your coworkers cannot lay a hand on you. If they do call the police and file a report. Seems to me your supervisor is creating a hostile workplace. Do you have a union? If so I would give them a call, that's what they are there for. If you don't I would call a higher up and tell him what has been going on. Calling prob won't do a bit of good, if they cared you wouldn't be having these probs, but it couldn't hurt. Expect the coworkers who are angry at you to give you a hard time. I would fill out many work applications just to get out of there. Good luck, buckle your seat belt your in for a bumpy ride.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not want to quit, at least not with out proper notice. I have applied to just about everything in this town and then some (small town) there is nothing hence why I work in a horrible job like this!

If someone does not fix something, and I mean as in today, I have plunty of friends in the media nation wide who would LOVE to hear from me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
One good thing, you work for a national chain, so there is a chain of command. If you worked for a mom and pop operation you would have no options. Is there an "employee hot line" you can call? What is the SOP for cleaning rooms? Do you have to have the door open while you are inside cleaning? If not make sure your door is closed and locked. Years and years ago I also was a hotel maid, we were never to have the door closed while we were inside cleaning, that is until a maid got raped then the policy changed. Follow your heart and you will do the right thing. Sometimes it works other times you must put your tail between your legs and call it a day. Either way your safety comes first. Be careful, I will be thinking of you all day. Your supervisor is in the WRONG. There must be a policy about this kind of behavior. She needs to be fired. You need to find out who you can call to resolve this. If all else fails I would call every newspaper, T.V. station that would listen to me. GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am soooo tired sad/angry and once again lost faith in humanity that I will make this short for now.

Basically nothing came of it. Some things will change others wont, in the mean time all of my co-workers completely hate me now and one has even threatened bodily harm (which I of course can not now prove) and got up in my face 2 times today during the "meeting".

So now... everyday, I have to go and work in a hostial enviroment, which is so stressing it's not comprehendable to know one minute I could be cleaning a bathroom floor, the next I turn around and there's one of my co-workers putting a fist in my face. Not to mention they no longer HELP me finish work. We are all suppose to help eachother (i do most of this myself).

I have voiced that concern to Theirry & Kat, but they scoffed it off.

There was alot of swearing, yelling & lieing, for about 3 hours worth, but now I know I work with people who are cowards, they betrayed themselves. No matter the outcome of this, they know what they have really said to me and others about this job place and the way Kat treats us all. I said this to one of the girls I thought I was "semi" friends with when we were all fighting again outside and since then she can't even lift her head to look at me, and I hope that guilt stays with her.

Eventually I will be forced to quit because they know that no one can work in a stituation like this everyday. And yet I have no choice as I have a family to take care of.

Edit: I forgot to say that I have just about exhasted all of my resources on finding a way to combate this further, I have called the companies DM and she is in Canada until Wens and there is little to nothing that she can do. I tried Osha, Department of Labor, EECO, and the Better Business Buerao. None of these people handle verbal abuse, Osha told me that there probably is no one to help, short of a laywer, because Maryland has this stupid "right to fire with out consent" or whatever it's called. Which means they can fire me on the spot anytime they like with out reprocussions.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Honestly I didn't read all the replies after Angel's first.
Angel I would just go and find a new job or is it you just like the drama? No one should have to put up with it? I am assuming these coworkers of yours probably have been there longer than you and they probably won't change. I'm sure you don't want to have to go out and find another job but it would be the best for you. I hightly doubt the company is going to fire like 4 of their employees because they have beef with you. Just wouldn't make sense they may suggest some kind of employee mediation. I just think the best would be to find another job and if your town is THAT bad do you have family that you could move to?
Angel did I see in another post that you have a child? If you wanted to go to school they have pell grants and scholarships that help for women with children married or not. I'm a RN and I just graduated... I didn't pay a dime for the 3.5 years of school. You could do it.. it just depends on how bad you want it. There are no excuses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts