Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month on the 10th, my grandmother passed away. I got the call in the afternoon and my brother, sister-in-law, niece and I hit the road for the 10 hour trip 12 hours later. Since I had no time to save money or to get a kennel, Finn had to stay home. My nephew that has been working and preparing for college was coming by once a day to feed him; he'd give him canned, then dry to tide him over until the next day (not ideal, but the best for the situation). Well, this was Finn's first time being without me for more than 4-5 hours. I was gone from the early morning of the 11th to the 14th. It's been over a month since I got back, but he still seems stressed and is really acting out, and doing unusual things for him. Some people may call these things "normal" for cats, but he wasn't doing them beforehand. He's been knocking over the kitchen trashcan and dragging everything out when I leave, and sometimes even when I'm here; he's been getting on shelves and knocking things off and chewing on them, pawing and agitatingly meowing at doors if I shut them behind me, getting in my kitchen cabinets. etc. I'm positive this is all linked to my leaving, but I figured he'd be ok now, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Is there anything I could do?

It's times like these I wish I could call my grandmother; she knew about anything abouts cats and dogs :(

·
Registered
209 Posts
Get Finn some new toys and play extra with him. My Ruby practically disowned me when I went to Hawaii for 10 days. My mother became her person for at least a year. Treat Finn as if you had just adopted him and "court" him. Good luck with Finn

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
All the things you describe him doing that he wasn't before sound like attention-getting actions to me. My girl will get on a table and knock things off if I'm talking on the phone, just to get my attention. Give him some quality one on one time, lots of petting, grooming, interactive play with him. My girl Alkee is so buggy often when I'm typing at the computer by poking the keys and walking on the keyboard, all the while purring up a storm, and no matter how much I push her to the side and say "sit there", she's back poking at the keys again. The only thing that will make her leave me in peace on the computer is to cuddle her on her back and smother her with kisses on her head and cheeks....at one point she'll want to get down, and then she just walks away to go somewhere else. So you might try that with Finn by going overboard with the affection and see if that works for him.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Play therapy would really help. Litttle Big Cat article library has a good article on it. Maybe order a 3 pack of Feliway plug in dispensers to help calm him. Best prices on Amazon. Lots of talking and cuddling helps too.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I agree with everyone. You have to earn his trust back so he knows you won't leave him again. I agree that he is going this for attention. My one cat isn't very cuddly but anytime I'm on the phone she will sprint to wherever I am and start rubbing up against my while purring and throw herself on her back waiting for a belly rub. I rub her and pet her but as soon as I'm off the phone she goes away.

Maybe buy some new toys and dedicate a certain amount of time each day to play. Extra pets and cuddles would help too. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts