Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, okay, the foster coordinator just called and asked if we could take in another kitten. Someone found a litter underneath her porch, and they were either abandoned by the mother or she was killed (she was feral). All but one kitten died; he's only two days old. I'm the foster home with the youngest litter, so she asked me if we could try getting this kitten to nurse off Scully. Right now, she's going to pick up the kitten and bring it to the vet's (checked out for fleas, etc), then bring him over here.

I have several questions/concerns:

How will we get Scully to accept this kitten?

Will she know/understand that he'll need to be fed more often than her other kittens?

Will the other kittens hurt this little guy? Do we need to maybe find a way to keep them seperate?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

G

·
0 Posts
I don't have any answers for you. I just wanted to let you know that I admire you for taking in another little guy. (And we want pics of him too).

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
My only suggestion would be to make sure the vet checks to be sure this new kitten doesn't have any kind of contagious diseases. It would be so great if Scully could adopt this kitten and help her grow up, but the last thing you need is someone new coming in and getting over one else sick - especially when they are doing so well.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I would keep the kitten separate; that's what I did with my four feral kittens until they were old enough to get around and defend themselves. Most adult cats will accept young kittens without too much fuss.

Do not take this kitty to the vet yet. Exposure to the many diseases floating around a vet clinic could be dangerous. When he's 6-7 weeks is plenty of time to test for FeLK/FIV, etc.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
But, isn't the kitten already at some type of rescue organization where it's already being exposed to the other cats and where they have a vet on hand?

Dr. Jean, even if she keeps the new kitten away from the other kittens...if they are both nursing from the same mother cat, can't they all end up sick (provided the new kitten has something contagious)??

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Oh, I see; I didn't realize Scully was the "nursemaid." A vet is not going to be able to get blood out of a 2 day old kitten; but true that it can't be separated. Hopefully the mother was vaccinated at some point and had plenty of antibodies in her milk that will protect the baby for several weeks.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the kitten is here, absolutely the tiniest cat I have ever seen, smaller than my kittens when they were born. She still has her umbilical chord, so she's no more than a couple days old. She hasn't nursed yet, but Scully has cleaned her all over more than once. We're not sure if she knows what to do as far as suckling; she was hand fed three hours ago and doesn't seem to be hungry just yet, so we'll see how it goes. *fingers crossed*

P.S. Oh yes, and she's a tortie :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Please be careful

Please be careful if you have not had this kitten tested. I know how difficult it is to raise one that young without a cat to help. However, I made the fatal mistake of letting my cats raise a young one I brought home many years ago only to learn the baby had Feluk and infected my 3 cats. Sadly all of them are dead now. If your cat has already groomed the baby it's most probably too late to stop the spread if the kitten is actually infected with Feluk or FIV. Do have it tested ASAP. I realize it's very tiny now and you'll most probably have to wait. I know sometimes they can't even find a vein on a baby that tiny. Also, if your cat that is grooming the kitten is older, her immune system may make her resistent to the Feluk. Not every cat that comes in contact with the disease will catch it. Be sure to keep the kitten on a heating pad set on low, covered with a thinck layer of towels and in a box or carrier large enough so she can crawl off the heat if she wants to. Keeping a kitten that tiny very warm is crucial as they will die if they get cold, which results in them not eating I've raised over 50 babies with bottles so if you have any specific questions that I can help you with, please e-mail me [email protected] Good Luck

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help, and I'll definately e-mail you if I have any questions or concerns.

Right now she is resting on two latex gloves that are filled with warm water and under a towel. We do not have a heating pad, but the foster woman does, and she'll be bringing one by later.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm so glad to hear that Scully seems to have taken to her, and is cleaning her.
Has she nursed yet? Let us know how the little thing is doing....poor kitty. And I have to say, you are so amazing for taking in yet another cat. :)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Only after having read the post in this thread have I realized what your name pertains to "Lot of Cats" ..before I was thinking of Lotto for some reason - I guess that's what happens when I forget to think in English and not in Romanian :lol: (where "lotto" is pelled "loto")
I just wanted to say that it is so wonderful of you to have helped so many kitties, lotocats.
I hope your tiny little new baby will do very well, spacemonkey!

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the kitten just died. I had fed her and cleaned her, and laid her down in the crate, and she cried once or twice, so I rubbed her and went to get the bottle, thinking she may still be hungry. But when I gave it to her, she ignored it. She cried once more, then settled back down. A few minutes later she let out this low moan, and then another one. I could see her open her mouth, like she was trying to breath. I picked her up and started vigorously rubbing her. She gasped once, then again about 30 seconds later. It was obvious she was struggling to breath, and I tried all I could think of to clear her lungs, but she went limp. It was all over in a matter of a minute.

In truth, I should have expected this. She was incredibly tiny, may have even been a premature birth, and had no fat on her at all. You could feel her ribs and spine jut out, and she had no strong desire to eat, even though we tried everything. She also had some discharge from her nose, but she had never had difficulty breathing, until right up to the end. Looking back, it seemed foolish to think she could even survive the night, but we had to try. Scully gave up on her last night; the kitten may have been sick or simply was underdeveloped, but even Scully sensed something was wrong.

I take comfort in the fact that she was loved and snuggled and cared for right up until she died in my hands. She's not the first pet we've lost, and unfortunately won't be the last, but I still cried (and am crying, as I write this). Baby Millie never had much of a chance, but at least she died feeling loved.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
You did everything you could for her and she was loved in the short time she had. You are a wonderful person for trying to help her...and she had the opportunity to be held, fed, comforted and loved. If it weren't for you, she would have had none of those things.

I am sorry for your loss. I hope the other little fur monsters you have there will comfort you some!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
How sad. The baby kitten looks so tiny and frail, I'm just happy that the kitty was loved and taken care of meanwhile :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts