Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another debate about the dangers of raw feeding as communicated by AAHA (American Animal Hospital Association) and AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) on their respective public websites.

Just basically more news to make the general public view raw feeders as fanatics/radicals/crazy new age people who don't follow the general norm.

AAHA Site

AVMA site

·
Registered
49 Posts
“Our motive for generating this policy is genuine concern for public health, and while it may be difficult to give a specific number of human cases of illness that are associated with this, really the policy is about mitigating risk,” Dr. Chico said. “And we know that, when animals feed or are fed raw or unprocessed animal protein sources, that there’s a risk of infection and shedding of the organism.”
"Dr. Chico said that while a small percentage of people feed their pets raw or unprocessed animal proteins, their actions present a risk to public health, even though it is difficult to quantify."

This article is so full of ridiculous quotes. Any risk can be eliminated by washing of hands and surfaces - but to use scare tactics?? People get sick all the time from unsafe food handling whether it's for their pets or their families. And they have no statistics "difficult to quantify" because the numbers are so freaking SMALL...this is what they do with anyone that questions the norm. Just wondering if all those vaccines are really safe/want to do some research before you stick your pet with needles? You're a bad pet parent!!!!! Want your cat to eat what it should as nature intended? You're a lunatic!!!!

This article is so silly. I just went to the doctor yesterday and he left a very successful practice in Sports Medicine, treating the Phillies to open a practice that charges a very small amount of money and doesn't worry if you have insurance or not - he gets you discounts on blood work, etc. He explained to me that in med school, they are taught this model of prescribe pills, bill insurance, get the patient out of there, go on to the next and it takes time to break out of that idea. His doctor friends think he's nuts for opening a practice that is about patient care for everyone - how radical! I'm sure it's the same in the veterinary field especially since Hill's is a big part of their education.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that article certainly doesn't help. As soon as people know I feed raw, they instinctively grab their children and do the mental 'step away from the crazy woman' act.

Others make like I'm trying to kill my pets with 'salmonella poisoning' etc..seriously, you handle the raw meat as you would if you were cooking for yourself. Make sure to clean up all the contact surfaces with detergent and water and you should be fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
exactly, Auntie!! No cases! This article is so incredibly misleading and such obvious corporate propaganda. Shame on them.

According to the logic of this article, humans shouldn't handle raw food - ever - it's just about "mitigating risk", riiiight? grrr

·
Registered
353 Posts
When I talked to my vet about raw, she told me that it had been "officially" not recommended. She phrased things a LOT more nicely than the article. She personally does not recommend it because so few people do it right and think just tossing their cat a chicken breast is "feeding raw." She was less concerned with the bacterial risk to the animal than she was the idea of an unbalanced diet by a novice owner.

That being said, she supports it if you do your homework, feed a balanced diet, and are clean about it.

I haven't gone raw, but it's good to know that if I decide to, my vet will be supportive despite the negative press.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The propaganda and idiocy surrounding kibble boggles my mind. A little bit of disinfectant and washing your hands goes a long way. I just found a new disinfectant that I'm itching to try as it's all natural, eco-friendly, and pet safe!

My new vet wasn't particularly thrilled upon learning I feed raw, but he told me he was willing to work with me. He's complimented me several times on the condition of my cats coats, and on their teeth.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My old cat lived for 20 years, she ate only what my family made for her, chicken, liver, fish, sour cream and sometimes oats. She never went to a vet a was perfectly healthy, happy kitty until she died of old age. We fed her both cooked and raw, so I don' see how a cat should only eat commercial food. Try eating serial all your life with all vitamins added and believe that it's the only thing good for you. It sounds ridiculous, so why cats have to eat manufactured junk, when you can perfectly feed them with same food you eat, when I cook i always save uncooked meat scraps for my cat, or sometimes buy i chicken breast and boil it for 5 mins, he loves it and it's healthy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts