Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad told me yesterday that here in St. Clair we have panthers. I think Panthers are mean. They can kill. Now another animal to be scared of. Ugh! :evil:

·
Registered
505 Posts
no animal is mean by nature. they're more afraid of you than you are of them. the only reason they would be in your area is if someone owned them as a pet (panthers are normally found in south america) animals only attack when they feel threatened or they are hunting. there's no reason to be afraid of them. i just really hate when people automatically fear an animal for no reason. you should definately RESPECT big cats, and even small cats, but there's no reason to fear them. you know, your cute little kitten is related to the panther, as well as lions, cougars (which we have plenty of up here) and all other big cats. they're just domesticated and bred to stay small.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
unless by "panthers" she meant cougars (i think they go by a name with panther in it in some places, which i can't remember atm)

Catlover, dont worry about them. They won't bother you unless possibly you are out in the woods by yourself, which I don't think you would be, and even then the chances of being attacked are SO slim you don't need to even think about it. My ex-boyfriend lived in a house in the rocky mountains, and their backyard ended in forest, which was inhabited by cougars. Once in a while, they'd hear stories of someone's dog going missing or getting killed, but he never ever saw one :)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned. There have been many cougar sightings where I live, with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
505 Posts
in my area, there have been cougars found in peoples back yards up a tree. i haven't heard of any attacks though. the cougars would sooner run away from you than attack. they're not used to people, and more often than not, the only people they have ever seen are hunters trying to shoot them, so they're perfectly content to stay as far away from you as possible. the only way anything could happen is if you stumbled upon one and surprised it, or cornered it and it was frightened.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Yeah...we have a TON of black bears around, and the only time I worry is when I'm berrying in the edge of the woods, so I wear a bell and sing. I am more afraid of the dogs the guy down the road owns than I am of bears and coyotes (I'm a little more careful in respect to Fisher cats, though, as they're rather more unpredictable). My biggest danger is probably getting charged by a bull moose or jumped by that guy's miserable, neglected dogs, if you want to know the truth. I once lived in an area with several packs of wild dogs, and THAT scared me enough to always have a gun when I was in deep woods. I'll take coyotes and wildcats over wild dogs any day!

·
Registered
505 Posts
pretty much any animal is *most* likely to attack if you surprise them. when your out in the woods, you should always make noise, sing, wear bells, talk outloud, etc. it gives them enough warning that they know to get out of the way

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Perhaps, but there are times when it does not behoove one to be noisy in the woods, especially if you're doing something like counting deer in a clearing (we, along with our neighbors, keep a close eye on wildlife population and forest management to make sure that our woods stay healthy and well-balanced...and that occasionally requires skulking around acting treelike).

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Mountain Lions are making a comeback in this state. The numbers seem to be going up because there have been a lot more sightings than normal in the last couple of years. However, I wouldn't worry too much in St. Clair County... or any county for the matter. The chances of you seeing one is highly unlikely.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I get worried mainly for my dogs and brother. My broher likes to exlor things and he likes panthers so he ould probably try to be friends with it. My dog Scooter would do the same. Faile, your right, if I don't bother them they won't bother me. I would like to see a pink panther (not up close) though. I would love to see a coyote or a fox or a wild dingo (wild dogs). Hey, Celeste_Eden you have loins where you live? You live in Washington sate right? I won't worry about it. I would never go into the woods by myself. That is a good idea about bringing a bell with me. Yeah wenever we ggo up noth (in Michigan) I get scared of black bears. It is a fear I always had/have.

·
Registered
505 Posts
lol. pink panthers don't exist. that's just a cartoon, it's not a real animal.

also, you DO NOT have panthers in your area. you have Cougars, also called Pumas and Mountain Lions.

Panther (black one is a panther, the other is a jaguar) panthers (and jaguars) only live in south america. the ONLY way they would get way up to where you are is if someone had them as a pet, or they were at a big cat refuge.

and this is a cougar (which in some areas is, in fact, called a panther, but that's a very incorrect name. they're a puma, Cougar, or mountain Lion.) we are known for mountain lions up here in the rockies.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
There have been plenty of black panther sightings in this state too. They are probably former pets, but it definitely isn't unheard of to see one.

·
Registered
505 Posts
they just shouldn't be there. they're not native animals and they will throw the eco system off, etc. etc. they should round them up and send them back to brazil.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
There are problems with cougars coming down into residental neighborhoods looking for food and water in Arizona. Mainly because we are encroaching on their hunting territory by building subdivisions and fires burn out their living and hunting areas. Its very sad.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I wonder if people are actually seeing cougars. I think that some cougars coats turn a chocolate brown in the winter and that could easily be mistaken as a panther. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Just to clear things up, there's no such thing as a black panther, even in South America. Black panther is used to describe many of the more common large cats who are melanistic (black). It's just a genetic mutation (like the white tiger). It shows up mostly in pumas, leopards, and (the south american black panther) jaguars.

Panther is a name frequently given to pumas and cougars native to North America. I don't believe panther by itself is an actual breed - although the scientific name of the jaguar is panthera (something) - in the US, it's just a different name often used to describe a puma, mountain lion, or cougar. In fact, many people still refer to the Florida Panther - actually, it's a puma.

So I think it's possible people are seeing "black panthers" in Michigan, and they actually do belong there.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts