Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a minor problem I'm in an electric wheel chair so have to open the door wide to get out and then turn around to close the door. So the door is open a while compared to my friends that can back out fast.

Abigail likes to try and get out and sometimes succeeds, then I gotta chase her haha but not haha. Only thing I can do is shut her in a room when I go get the mail but being gone longer that seems not good. Heard spraying with vinegar helps but that's acid.

Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Spraying with a water gun might work, but then there are cats that are not deterred by that. The safest and best way is to put Abigail cat in another room while you have to go out. Make it a "treat time", so when you say "Want treats?" or "time for treats" encourage her to go to the room or take her there, then give treats. Another alternative to treats is a special playtime with a toy rubbed with catnip. :kittyball

Some cats can be trained to "sit and stay", but may not be as reliable as a dog to do so.

·
Registered
979 Posts
It may be possible to enlist a friend? Have the friend distract her with a treat or do a sit/stay while you leave. Stay outside for a few mins, and then come in while the friend is doing the same (distracting). After you made it back in without incident, you can give her a treat. She'll associate good behaviour and you returning with a yummy snack and it make make her less likely to dash out?

I don't know if that will work, though. Every month or so Io decides to make a break for it. She's so utterly confused when the only thing outside our door is more hallway (apt building). lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sigh I dunno what to think The UPS guy came today and I had to sign the contraption so Abigail got out, she stayed on the other side of the door and watched him walk off. I taped the door frame and called her in and she came right in. :?

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Well that was good! You could reinforce that by tapping the wheelchair or the floor and associate it with the word "Come" and then give a treat. Cats that are food oriented and not free-fed (food left out to eat at will) but given meals at specific times, say 2x/day are more motivated to come for treats.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I've had the same problem myself (although not including the extra challenge of dealing with the chair). I always thought I needed some type of barrier that I could get around and then block him with, like maybe a fireplace screen or some type of fencing or room divider. You could create a little "cat-free" zone that allows you to go in and out and take your sweet time.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
that's great that abigail came right back when you called her. angel is pretty food-oriented, so we are also lucky that she comes right back inside if she hears the crinkly treat bag being opened.

if where you live has the option of adding an extra screened porch area in front of your door, then that will be another way to make sure she doesn't get too far. don't know if this is a possibility where you live, though.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Miley has been running out the door... even after she escaped 2 weeks ago without my daughter knowing, and being gone for a week. She was so terrified when she came home, I thought for sure she wouldn't try to to get out anytime soon. Wrong. I know how quick she is, and in your situation I would probably put her in a room and shut the door before I go out. With a litter box and water of course. She is just so curious, she can't help herself I guess. My friends have been saying it sounds like she's in heat, but she's spayed.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Spraying with a water bottle is an excellent deterrant for certain behaviors (and it isn't "cat abuse" or "horrible", as some people may think), but in this case, it might just make Abigail run OUT the door in fear when you spray her, unless you make sure you tag her as she approaches the door, so she clearly associates "door approach" with the spritzing.

Do you have a collar with ID on her at all times? If she's prone to escape acts, a collar is a necessity.

If you want to go the route of shutting her in a room which seems perhaps the neatest solution, as long as there's a litterbox in the room you place her in, I think she'd be fine for longer periods of time. Make sure there's nothing too breakable in there - she might explore or jump up on all kinds of stuff while she's IN the room, though.

As long as you pet her and praise her (and perhaps give her a small treat) before going into the room, and after you retrieve her from there, she should begin to associate "room time" with happiness :}

1 - 9 of 9 Posts