Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and have a quick question. I was just given a spayed female cat for my shed row style barn. I didn't ask for this kitty, but was given her because she was urinating in the owners house. Here's the story, she is a young female, I'd guess 3 years old. My sisters boyfriends brother and girlfriend had the cat. I guess it started out as being their neighbors cat. Neighbor got it as a kitten and immediately left it outside all the time. Neighbors moved, girlfriend and boyfriend adopt cat after it has lived outside for 2 years. Bring it in house since last december. Cat has started urinating in the house about every 3 weeks she will urinate for a couple days in house then stop. THis is an ongoing cycle. THey just re-did house, don't want cat anymore cause of it's problem. Vet said cat is fine health wise. Local shelters said they would put cat to sleep. Rather then have Salem put down, owner decides she would rather have her as a barn kitty and drops her off at my house. I cannot take her in the house, that is not an option, I'm not being cruel, I just can't take her in. Right now she is in a cage in the extra stall that I have. I just got her yesterday and I didn't want her to run away. She is a very sweet little black and white kitty and I wonder how she will survive with coyotes and cold weather. So, before I let her out and perhaps lose her. Is there something else that could be causing this problem? I know the woman's 9 year old daughter was heartbroken to see Salem go. Please don't bash me for offering this kitty at least a home in my barn, I feel it is better than the alternative as did her owner.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Did the vet do a urinalysis? If not, Salem needs one to rule out health problems. If the vet did do a urinalysis, then the problem is probably with the litterbox itself. It might not be clean enough for Salem's liking, maybe she dislikes the litter, the depth of the litter, the location of the box, or any combination of these.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Annissa gave great advice. The other things it could be is bladder stones. One of my cats had normal urinalysis but an ultrasound showed a decent size stone that was making her uncomfortable and urinate outside of the box on occasion. Or...she could of just been one stressed, unhappy cat and was acting out. Either way, this poor cat desperately needs a break by someone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps I should call my vet and see what they have to say. But hubby has already put his foot down and said no cat in the house. Besides I think my two dogs would go wild. She seems perfectly content right now in the cage that I modifed for her so it was bigger. She sleeps in the little kitty bed that is like a cubby hole. When I go out there, she comes out and lets me pat her. I don't know. I'm just beginning to feel guilty about letting her free. WHY am I feeling guilty over a cat that was basically just dropped off on my door step so to speak? I know why, its cause I love animals to darn much. Thank you very much for your replies, I really appreciate them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think for now it is a good idea not to let her run loose. She would just take off scared and possibly head to her old home. Good luck :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts