Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 years ago one of our kitties ate a long piece of string - about 3 feet probably. It was our fault for leaving it laying around and I know better, but at least we realized it right away. I called the vet, and she was extremely concerned about getting the cat to vomit the string ASAP. We didn't have any ipicac, so the vet told us to pour 1 tsp (I think) of hydrogen peroxide down her throat. She didn't want us to take the time to go to the drugstore for ipicac or to take the cat to her office. It worked immediately, the string came up, and all was well.

The other day one of my professors off-handedly made a comment about not injesting hydrogen peroxide because it damages the delicate tissues in the GI tract. I felt like crying - did I possibly do permanent damage to my cat? I really respect our vet, but I'm wondering if she gave us the right advice?

I know the string was an emergency issue, and I'm hoping that any short-term damage caused by the peroxide is just that - short-term. Has anyone else heard about this method of inducing vomiting and/or know how safe it is?

Thanks,
Nikki

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide is not pleasant to drink and can burn the esophagus, but a few days of sore throat is much better than emergency abdominal surgery to remove a string! (I tried it on myself once--it was pretty nasty! And no, I didn't swallow a string :lol: !)

I've used peroxide on a lot of dogs but only a few cats. All did fine except one, who wouldn't eat for a few days on account of the sore throat. He recovered just fine.

The GI tract is lined with mucus membranes. All the lining cells along the tract are replaced every few days, so it heals very, very quickly.

So relaxed, your kitty is fine! :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 2 of 2 Posts