Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive the title, I wasn't really sure how else to phrase this.

I was hoping to ask any breeders on here about the risks of inbreeding and at what point it becomes a issue.

I know some breeders breed relatively close relations and the reason I ask is that I got Loki's papers today finally and noticed that his tom and queen both shared the same father but not mother.

I believe Loki was tested for genetic defects (I would have to dig up the contract for the exact details) but I wanted to know if having half siblings as parents could possibly cause issues either now or later in life.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Line breeding is very common. As long as the breeder is very responsible and knows what they are doing, line breeding can make the line stronger. If you get a back yard breeder doing it, then you run into problems. I think you won't see any problems.

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
As Ashlee said, it all depends on the level of testing and knowledge of the breeder.

Since you have another cat on the way, you probably want to know all this information now rather than be surprised later.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I never bred dam or sire to their son or daughter, or siblings together, but I did breed back to a grandparent, or aunt/uncle. Yes it can "fix" the characteristics one is breeding for, but one has to be knowledgeable. Back when I was breeding there were no tests for genetics, but these should be done on all cats used for breeding now.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My breeder is pretty knowledgable and she did go through with me the genetic testing that she does I just don't have that paperwork on me right now just packed away with other kitten documents.

I'm not too worried about it as my breeder is pretty fantastic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts