Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I got a new kitten (Gilbert), he adapted to the house very quickly and is all over everything, as kittens tend to do.

Today I was contacted by a lovely lady who said she had found my cat (Oscar), who was lost about 7 weeks ago. At this stage I had given up hope, hence getting the kitten.

I have only had Oscar about 12months, and we moved to a larger house in September 2011. He is a timid cat who spends most of his day under things- couches, beds, chairs; not freaking out but I guess he feels secure there.

When I went and picked him up this morning, I bought him home and have been panicking ever since. Only now that I am assured he won't attack Gilbert am I jumping on the computer to do some research.

I didn't put them in separate rooms, just moderated their behaviour and took one cat to another room without closin the door. Oscar will hiss at Gilbert and sometimes leave the rooms, but I just went into the bedroom and there was one cat on each end of the bed. Gilbert keeps going and lying within a couple of metres of Oscar. This is a good sign, right?

And help/opinions on what to do would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now that the shops are open, I've gone and bought extra litter trays etc and put then kitten in a bedroom with adjoingg bathroom.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congrats on finding your baby! That must have been the most wonderful news.
Its going to take time, thats for sure, especially since your old buddy probably needs to take time just for getting used to the house again. Add on the fact that he needs to get used to a new housemate, it may be weeks, even months before things are back to "normal".
The fact that he's not beating up on little Gilbert is a very good sign. But other signs of aggression are normal, especially seeing as Oscar may still have territorial feelings about the house even after being gone so long. Keeping an eye on his behavior and making sure it doesn't surpass any boundries is the best you can do, and perhaps seperating the cats while you are away until you are absolutely certain that both are safe in the company of each other.
Mine used to fight when we first brought them home, it took almost a month and a half for them to acclimate to one another, but don't give up! They are now best friends and that all happened after full blown teeth and claw attacks during their first few meets. Your cats are off to a much better start so it looks like it may be a much easier road for you! Just remember, patience is key here. Best of luck! And congrats on finding Oscar! I'm sure he is as happy to be home as you are to have him home!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts