Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that's how you spell it.

Anyway... here in Sweden we eat something called "A-fil" which is souered milk (such as acidophilus). The breeder of our kittens found out that the kittens are going crazy over this milk product. I'm not so sure it's healthy for them in the long run to eat/drink this milk product (we humans eat it with müsli) since they could perhaps develop a lactose intolerance.

But that said, acidophilus is also healthy, both for humans and cats. So the question is.... can I continue giving our kittens this "A-fil" (short for Acidufilus in swedish) or should I try to find a powder version and mix it in their food?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I have heard others use acidophilus for cats who have IBD...
I do not know if it helps or not...but I have heard it before.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Acidophilus is great for many things! In order for cats to get enough of it to make a difference, though, I usually recommend giving it in capsules.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dr. Jean (you are such a nice person answering all questions here!)!!

So, if the kittens like to eat the Acidophilus as they do now, I shouldn't worry? I mean if I have problems giving them capsuls and they gulp it down now in this liquid form?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Oh sure, it won't hurt them to eat it in this form. Most of the lactose has been broken down by the time the milk gets to the yogurt stage, so it's really quite safe for them.

My point was just that if I'm giving acidophilus to *treat* a condition, I want them to get the higher amount you find in the capsules.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aaaah, got you now! Thanks! :)

Don't want to do anything wrong, so I try to be a good girl and listen to the doc. That'd be you. :D

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bean, yeah it is pretty much the same. Not as bitter in taste even if nothing is added to it. It's also a bit more "runny" than Yoghurt but not as thin as cream for instance. Well at least the stuff we get here in Sweden, A-fil. I love it, specially in the summer when you add some fresh fruits, müsli and maybe even a bit of corn flakes. Kids like jam in it, so it's a bit sweeter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts