Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am assuming that this is acne under Twinkie's chin b/c I noticed he has been scratching under his chin alot and I looked under it today just to see and OMG it was a big red circled scabbed area. He has been scratching at it and it is really scabbed, the size of 1/4 of a penny maybe bigger. I feel so bad that I let it get this far but any ideas on what it could be and more importantly how to get rid of it? Does this kind of thing eventually go away or do I need to go to a vet and get some cream for it? Thanks for any answers to this. <<))

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You can try to treat it at home for a bit, then if it doesn't work, go to the vet for the big guns.

First, if he's eating and drinking from plastic dishes of any sort, replace them immediately with glass or ceramic. They are non-porous and don't hold bacteria like plastic does. Clean them daily. I get these little glass dishes from the grocery store during "Dollar Days." I have a bunch and rotate them. My newest favorite trick is paper plates, I'm trying that on my one that has very mild acne and it seems to be clearing up on its own.

I recommend twice-daily cleansing with Betadine, an antibacterial soap. Might also be labeled Povidone Iodine. Dilute the socks off it--the stuff starts out dark brown (and stains *everything*), dilute it in warm water until it is weak tea colored. Swab it on with a cotton ball or gauze pad. If it's too strong it will burn the skin.

If it's really bad and he's painful, it may be best to have your vet clean him up under anesthesia. That will give you a fresh start on your hygiene program.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can I buy this Betadine? Is it something in stores or at vets? So just dilute this with warm water and cleanse twice a day? Thanks for the help, I just want this cleared up soon. (((=

·
Registered
865 Posts
I think the greasyness of dry food can also help cause acne. Maybe switch him to wet for a bit while it clears up?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I see Betadine at the grocery store or any pharmacy. Usually near the first aid stuff.

I agree with Bean about the dry food, sometimes that is the culprit.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feed them wet food in the mornings before I go to work and free feed the rest of the day while I'm gone. Sometimes I feed them wet food at night too but they have to eat dry while I'm gone. I am going to go buy some ceramic bowls for now and hope it goes away with the betadine. Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes.... :D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
They don't have to eat dry while you're gone. They don't need dry at all. A cat can actually survive 12 hours without food! :lol:

Something to consider anyway.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Sabby can survive 12 hours without eating, but you should see him at the end of 8 hours of not being fed. I get home from work and he screams at me. Well, actually, that's just what he sounds like when he meows. "AAAAAAAAA!"

No "meow" for my cat.

Sabby's feeding schedule (posted because it might work for you as well)
3 oz. at 7:30 a.m. (when he gets his morning injection).
3 oz. at 5:20 p.m. (when I get home from work).
7:30 p.m. insulin injection. (usually there's still leftovers from the 5:20 feeding he can nibble on if he needs it).
3 oz. at 10:00 p.m. (when I go to bed).

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok Twinkie's acne right underneath the chin went away but now he has one on the left under side and it looks really bad.....

I've already changed out the food bowls to ceramic and I haven't gotten around to getting the soap to cleanse it. Has anyone seen anything this bad?? :cry:

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok decided to take Twinkie to the vet just so they can tell me for sure what the heck is going on with his chin. They said it was a bacterial infection and that they want me to give him Clavamox 1 mill. drops orally 2x day for one week and to wear an e-collar the whole time! Also, to use Hexadene shampoo as a scrub on his wound once a day for one week. I really hope this works and that he gets better. If anyone has any experience with this medicine, let me know.

Btw, he is growling at Sugar ever since I came home, I thought it should be the other way around but I guess he is mad about the e-collar. He ran past me and a tiny marble sized turd dropped off from him, yucki. :roll:

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thank goodness this is on Twinkie b/c if it was on Sugar, she would have it off in 2 seconds. <<))

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hehe thanks, I'll let him know. He is walking backwards while wearing this thing tho which looks really odd...... :roll:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
kitkat -- don't worry. I thought that Jack would flip out with his e-collar -- he wore it for about 2 weeks. I was dreading it -- he is the most squirmy active cat I've ever known, and after about a day, he actually seemed to LIKE the e-collar! He would follow everyone around for head rubs - he seemed to like them more when he had the collar on. He was so calm and snuggly, and he learned to get around pretty good. He never fought me when I had to take it off or put it on -- and actually started purring when I did. I hope Twinkie is the same way.

I have a question though -- why does he have to wear an e-collar if the wound is on his chin?

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He has back claws and keeps itching and scarring the spot with his back claws when he scratches his chin. So vet said so he won't itch the spot, to wear that.

All I know is, like I said before, this wouldn't be possible with Sugar b/c she always has to clean and Twinkie never cleans. Also, she is smart and would of found a way to get out of the collar, Twinkie just doodles around with it. I wish I can show a video b/c he is walking backwards in the kitchen and scaring himself with the collar touching something. HEHE this thing looks like a mexican hat or a tortilla or something it is making me laugh really hard every time I see him! I am so mean!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts