Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i'm new to this forum and i need help with my cat.
He's been very normal until this period, I will make this very short and clear.

It's been a bit that my cat has started hunting like never before i'd see him at least one time a day killing and eating a lizard.
The problem is that nothing like this happened, at least in this frequency i'm also aware for his health and what it could happen to my cat
if he continues like this, to eat and hunt a big amount of them.
I think i really need some help here what do you think?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My recommendation-- bring your cat indoors, immediately. Outdoor cats have quite literally been responsible for the extinction of species due to their hunting behavior. They're a major threat to the environment.

If you are concerned about your cat's well being, which is not unreasonable, take him to the vet. He very well could ingest a parasite, bacteria, or virus.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
My recommendation-- bring your cat indoors, immediately. Outdoor cats have quite literally been responsible for the extinction of species due to their hunting behavior. They're a major threat to the environment.
The U.S. is one of very few countries that keep their cats inside. In some countries, it's actually considered cruel and unusual treatment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

If you are concerned about your cat's well being, which is not unreasonable, take him to the vet. He very well could ingest a parasite, bacteria, or virus.
As i said my cat is not considered to be outside, he has a very small area to hunt, and i already have booked a visit to the vet.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
I'm just stating a fact, because members shouldn't be attacked because their cats are let outside in countries where that's the norm. It's also why we don't allow any inside/outside debates here.

Reactions: Mosi

·
Registered
11 Posts
I didn't attack him, call him names, say he's a bad pet owner or anything of the like.

He's asking what he should do about his cat's hunting behavior. If he's concerned that his cat is overhunting, it will have an impact on surrounding wildlife(another fact). And the only way to curb the hunting is to bring him indoors. It's my two cents, take it or leave it.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
I never said you did any of that, I was trying to explain how countries differ when it comes to having outside cats. Any why they sometimes get flamed for it.

Reactions: Mosi

·
Registered
669 Posts
As cruel as entire species going extinct? Bring your cat out on a leash and harness if it's important to you that your cat get time outside. How many countries let dogs run wild?
In many, many countries people let their dogs run wild. In most countries, people do not have the relationship to their animals that we have in the US, Britain, and Canada. Both dogs and cats are considered to be animals that hang around, but are not household pets.

·
Registered
669 Posts
As i said my cat is not considered to be outside, he has a very small area to hunt, and i already have booked a visit to the vet.
OK, so this is a balcony situation where you cat can be outside without actually being loose, which sounds great. Many people have "catios" for their cats, and what you have sounds a bit like that.
In this case, can you simply screen off the balcony so that lizards cannot get in there?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hunting is natural for cats to do. All my cats are either feral or former-feral. I have 2 that are now indoor only. The cats rid my home and property of rodents/vermin that do damage. It is a bit conserning to have them eat the whole prey since it could contain parasites, but I also treat my animals monthly. Are the lizards toxic? Is that what's bothering you?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts