Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiance and I owned an 8 year old mix between a Maine **** and a domestic short hair. Last Tuesday we adopted was I suspect is another Maine ****, though he is a shelter cat so I'm not sure.

He was confined to a safe room for the first few days before we started introductions, and everything has been just fine. The original cat, a female names Kira, is not overly aggressive, she seems mostly apathetic. The problem I have is that the new cat, Simba, is only about two years old and still very lonely and needy for attention.

Kira puts up with him for several hours, but eventually she gets tired of having a younger cat harassing her for attention. She hasn't stopped using the litter box or stopped eating, but she seems to have a three foot rule with him. She tolerates him quite nicely, but hisses if he comes too close. This isn't such a problem, except that because he is young he cries and whines because he doesn't understand why she won't let him near.

What's the best solution? I'm not sure if I need to help her settle down and let him in, or calm him down and make him realize he will have to be patient and give her space. And most importantly, I'm not sure how to do either.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would just let them work it out on their own. There's really nothing you can do except physically separate them when Kira is fed up, but IMO it's a lesson that the little one needs to learn even if it does hurt his feelings. They just need time to adjust to each other and feel out the boundaries.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I agree. They just need time to work it out. My Azalia is as laid back as they come, but she has a very low tolerance for young very playful cats. It's sometimes hard to believe she's only 2 years old, but it's just her temperament. She had a similar rule with Lacey when she came onboard and now with Sasha. Your resident cat will ease up with time.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Most female cats like to be the boss cat in the house, and Kira's establishing her boundaries, and how close Simba can be to her or not. If Simba's needy give him lots of loving, but out of sight and earshot of Kira, otherwise she may be jealous that he's getting attention and take it out of him or withdraw her affection from you. You pretty much have to let them work out their own relationship to each other, but sometimes playing with both at the same time with a fishing pole toy, like Da Bird, can help, and feeding them treats at the same time as well. Positive praise to them both when you do see them close together should help as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You pretty much have to let them work out their own relationship to each other, but sometimes playing with both at the same time with a fishing pole toy, like Da Bird, can help, and feeding them treats at the same time as well. Positive praise to them both when you do see them close together should help as well. Good luck!
Totally agree. This is what I did with Lacey and Sasha recently. Lacey has been the baby for a good 6 months and now came Sasha and he's only 12 weeks old, so naturally, he gets more attention since he just needs it. Da Bird is a great truce establishing tool. The treats at the same times solidifies the play sessions, and the praise just makes them feel they are BOTH loved....wonderful suggestions!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I figured it was a matter of time, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. You all were quite helpful!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts