Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never given the idea of getting another cat much though...our vet even tried to convince me to take a sweet kitten off of her hands a few months ago, an I said no. I've always thought it's better to have two than one, and I think that actually, it's not that much harder to care for 2, 3, 4 even than it is for one. I would just struggle with having to say goodbye when I eventually move back to the US. I'm taking Sebastian with me, but that's it.

Well, my friend Kiah asked me this week if I'd consider taking her kitten, Mew Mew. Kiah lives near the Shanghai Botanical gardens and was going there pretty frequently in the warmer weather. She came across this little orange and white striped kitty and started going there to play with her every day. Kiah named her Mew Mew. It got to the point where she would come running when Kiah would call. One day, Kiah was walking home at night and it was raining, and as she passed the gardens she called through the gate and Mew Mew came running to meet her. Kiah just scooped her up and took her home!!!

She's been living with Kiah and her husband but they're living in a "pet free" building. They love the cat, but have been thinking about other options for her. Kiah's going away for 4 weeks and asked if I'd at least pet-sit for her during that time and we'd see how it works and take it from there. Mew Mew is a really sweet kitty...just warm and cuddly and precious.

I sometimes do feel guilty because Sebastian has all of this crazy energy. Especially recently, he's been virtually inexhaustible. I used to be able to wear him out, but recently, we play with Da Bird for so long each day that I'm the tired one. He's been so excitable that he keeps breaking things, by jumping, sliding, you name it. He's broken a plate, a glass, a candle holder. I wonder if he wouldn't benefit from having another kitty in the house...

I'm considering trying it just while Kiah and her husband are out of town (he'll only be gone 2 weeks). What do you guys think? I definitely don't want to make Sebastian feel threatened or anything...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,352 Posts
I don't know. A proper introduction can take a week or more, so I think if it's just an experiment to see if they'd get along, you may not get an answer in that amount of time. It would probably be best to cat-sit Mew Mew in her own home while your friend and her husband are away.

If I knew I'd have to leave the cat behind, I wouldn't get a second one. But that's just me.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
marie73 said:
I don't know. A proper introduction can take a week or more, so I think if it's just an experiment to see if they'd get along, you may not get an answer in that amount of time. It would probably be best to cat-sit Mew Mew in her own home while your friend and her husband are away.

If I knew I'd have to leave the cat behind, I wouldn't get a second one. But that's just me.
That's true, I hadn't thought about introduction time. Maybe you're right

And yeah, I don't know if I'd be even capable of leaving a cat behind or rehoming once I'd gotten attached. I talked to Kiah last night about the possibility of her keeping MewMew and taking her home with them when they eventually leave. I think she really wants to keep her but her husband is iffy.

Thanks for the advice, Marie

·
Super Moderator
26,352 Posts
Believe me, I understand wanting another kitty, especially when Sebastian has so much energy. That's partly why I adopted the twins - for Cleo. :D

And Mew Mew is adorable. :luv

1 - 5 of 5 Posts