Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've only just started transitioning our cats to raw--it'll be 2 weeks this Sunday. We are taking it very slow because some cats are more dedicated than others. They are currently eating 2 meals a day of approx. 50% raw meat and 50% Instinct or BG canned food. One of the cats, Gozer, has vomited after eating for the past 3 meals. He has been eating well with no complaints and even jumps up on the counter while we're cutting up the raw meats to snatch a mouthful or two (bad kitty, I know). Other than the vomiting he seems to be feeling fine. I have purchased some supplements made by Animal Essentials--seaweed calcium, multivitamin, and plant enzymes and probiotics--but I'm hesitant to start adding anything because the canned food is pretty balanced already and I don't want to overdo it. I have added the calcium a couple of times, since they are not at the eating-bone stage yet (our goal is the Frankenprey model) but what about multivites and probiotics? My feeling is that the probiotics would help with the vomiting but I DO NOT want to do any harm to my kitties!

Any thoughts/experiences/cautionary tales would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I feed my cats a hybrid raw diet. 50% raw and 50% canned. I don't do supplements because the raw as long as it is varied will give them all they pretty much need. I make sure I also give them quail eggs and raw anchovies to balance out their diet. I also feed a frankenprey model.

The canned is for 2 reasons; yes, to ensure they get all the vitamins they may be missing due to degraded meat being thawed and refrozen, etc., and one of my cats has a sensitive tummy and can't handle raw at night. My vet is perfectly on board with this diet, and my cats are in perfect health.

I did at one point entertain going fully raw, but Egypt's digestive issues put a halt to that quite abruptly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts