Cat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed a diet based somewhat off of the catinfo.org diet. I grind the chicken bones and cube everything else. Right now it is a mix of chicken and pork. I cannot afford beef in large amounts right now (they get some beef mixed in sometimes, but it is maybe 1-3 lbs per 20 lbs of other stuff). The mix I make is fed to both the cat and my dogs. It is about 11% bone, 8-10% organs (beef liver, kidney), and the rest is chicken and pork meat. I add powdered taurine, vitamin B complex, Morton's Lite salt, vitamin E, and fish oil at the ratios recommended on catinfo. I would like to add Zinc as well, as that is the main thing I am missing out on by not feeding beef. So far my research has said to purchase zinc-gluconate, as this has the lowest level of cadmium.

Does anyone else add a zinc supplement to their diet? I have been warned by the dog people that feeding too much chicken and pork may cause a greasy coat long term because of the lack of zinc. I know that zinc poisoning is also a concern, so if someone does add this, at what ratio do you do so?

I just want to say how awesome it has been to have Midas on raw! It has been almost a year now, and I no longer have a stinky litterbox, he seems healthier, and I hope I never have to go back to kibble or wet food! I first made the switch because I could no longer afford to feed him the canned food that was costing me almost $2 a day. Now it is like $3 a day for all of my pets!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts