Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got my shipment of new cat food today. Up until now, he's been eating Whiskas pouches and Friskies canned food, alone with Whiskas and Friskies dry food. He's on all Friskies now because he seems to like it better. I've been concerned about giving him better food so I bought him one heck of a variety online. He isn't impressed!

So far, he's tried:

Wellness Chicken and Lobster: Wouldn't touch it... half the can is in the fridge for another try soon.
Nutro Gourmet Lamb and Turkey Cutlets: loved it! ate it all up!
Natrual Balance Ultra Formula: So far won't touch it... saving half the can to try later.

I still have about 20 cans of Friskies left, now along with a variety of Wellness, Nutro Gourmet, Nutro Max, Nutro Natural Choice, Felidae, and Natural Balance.

Do you think it would help if I mix in his Friskies with the new stuff just to start off (and get rid of the Friskies)? I want him eating better food!

Also, he's still on Friskies dry because I have a lot left (he doesn't eat much dry) and don't want to waste it. I may try Chicken Soup for dry... any other suggestions on something picky cats eat?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Yeah,, you can try mixing the wet foods together. The only thing I worry about is then you are not going to know which other wet he likes. I guess i wouldn't mix them until you knew which brand you are going to use.

If you don't want to waste the Friskies and don't want him to eat it either, why not donate it to your local shelter? I am sure then would be thrilled to have it.!!

Good luck on your search!

P.S. My picky cat likes, Chicken Soup dry, and Fancy Feast wet. I know fancy feast isn't good.. but he wont eat any other wet food... so i figure it's better then all dry.

Funny how he is not picky with human food! he wants anything i eat

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know, I never thought about donating it... that's actually a really good idea. I may wait a tiny bit longer and see if he's going to end any of his food now. I think if he eventually gets over being so picky I may just keep a variety of brands, rather than picking just one or two.

Thanks for the great idea :)

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I came home from work to find almost all the food I left in his bowl gone. And he even nibbled some of the chicken and lobster from yesterday. Its amazing how if you TASTE the food, you'll know if you like it or not! I have to admit, it all does smell a lot worse than his Friskies...

Maybe there's hope after all!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Hey...my cats both felt so/so about the the chicken and lobster from Wellness. I thought I was being all high and mighty giving lobsters to my kitty, but they didn't seem impressed. Although Wellness is my favorite food all around and they love it overall, that was not their favorite. Of course they like the Salmon and Trout, but they are huge fans of the Beef and Chicken too. Maybe give a different flavor a whirl...????

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got so many different flavors they're coming out of my ears!

I'll get around to them sooner or later... I'm trying to rotate brands and flavors every day.

He seemed to like the Nutro Max Chicken and Liver...

I don't think he likes the vegetables in the other ones. Hm.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hm...lets see... I fed him the rest of the Natural Choice, still wouldn't touch it. So I decided to go for the Nutro Gourmet again. It was some kind of stew flavor... I don't remember exactly which one. He liked it.

Are all the gourmet flavors in chunks? He really likes those better than the loafy type foods. That may be half his problem.

Any other "good" foods come in chunky with gravy types?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Isn't there some type of Cat Stew or something. I swear I saw it at Petco, but it was like 3 bucks a can.

Maybe I'm crazy...

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know about that. I've seen the "gravy" bottles at petsmart that you use to make dry food more flavorful. I think it looked really gross though.

Today's menu:

Nutro lamb and kidney stew... mmm... he didn't seem to mind too much. But only ate a little bit.

Tonight will be leftovers from the other day. See if he likes it better second time around :)

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All these choices you'd think he'd fine something he liked!

How's this for a start?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Jessie,

Have you tried the Felidae yet? I bought the dry and wet this morning. Just tried it this afternoon and they both seemed to like it. Franny seemed to REALLY enjoy it.

Just wondering how yours did on it?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Mine hate the Felidae. They also hate the chicken soup. I have been trying a variety to see what they like and dislike. I have one picky eater out of the group. So far....everyones favorite is solid gold blended tuna. I won't feed it too often though. They also like Innova (Turkey, chicken Rice Potaotatoe and a whole lot more stuff :). They also like Evolve Turkey. The store by my house is supposed to be getting different varieties of the evolve. They like Eagle pack too. They have tried Turkey & Barley and some kind of seafood flavor.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Innova canned was a BIG hit at my house too. I think they even like it better than the Wellness. Will continue to buy both though.

I'm noticing now that the kitten is not as fond of the Felidae as the older one. She actually walked away from it just now, when she's usually crying to be fed as soon as I lift her bowl. Franny, again scarfed it down though. This is the only food that the two of them have not "agreed" on. I probably won't buy it again if they both won't eat it. Too bad for Franny!

I hear of solid gold a lot on the forums and i know you mentioned you won't give it to them too much, but for everyone else...i thought Tuna was a big no-no for cats? No?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I only got two cans of Felidae, and he seemed to like the first one I fed him. I'll probably end up giving him the other one sooner or later (I'm trying to vary it day by day, but it isn't going that well). I also bought a can of chicken soup the other day when I picked up my dog from the groomer's. It was one of two brands he sold, he refused to sell anything else because it was the best cat food I'd ever buy (his words). He also tried to get me not to buy canned because dry is "so much better for them" but I didn't want to argue, so I kept my mouth shut :)

He didn't like it. I have half a can left to try again. I think he may only end up liking the Felidae so far. He'll eat the other stuff, but only when he gets really hungry. I've heard its bad to give them one flavor all the time because they can develop allergies and addictions to one food, and Felidae only offers two formulas. Anyone think that's a problem?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Doesn't Felidae have chicken, turkey, lamb and some fish in it? If that's the case, I would think that there is a pretty good variety in that food anyway...don't ya think?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that's what I was thinking, but I'm not sure. I don't even know if he really liked it or was just really hungry. why are cats so picky??

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
AddFran said:
Innova canned was a BIG hit at my house too. I think they even like it better than the Wellness. Will continue to buy both though.

I'm noticing now that the kitten is not as fond of the Felidae as the older one. She actually walked away from it just now, when she's usually crying to be fed as soon as I lift her bowl. Franny, again scarfed it down though. This is the only food that the two of them have not "agreed" on. I probably won't buy it again if they both won't eat it. Too bad for Franny!

I hear of solid gold a lot on the forums and i know you mentioned you won't give it to them too much, but for everyone else...i thought Tuna was a big no-no for cats? No?
Thats what I heard too. Thats why I don't want to feed it too often. I heard solid gold was good, but the only kind I find is the tuna. I'm wondering if they make it in other types.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts